1948 Singer 15

Started by spookietoo, June 13, 2020, 12:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookietoo

So,  I've been wanting one of these for a while just to have a machine that does a really good straight stitch and that doesn't act like its having a coronary if I think about sewing denim.

My Mom, now 82, wants me to take the treadle machine she bought 15 years ago and has never used - other than to determine it sews great and to let the grandkids play on it. (Youngest just graduated college!) Last thing I need in my house is another sewing machine in a cabinet.

So, I checked it out after she went to bed the other night, and it's a 1948 15 model! I had no idea Singer was still mass producing treadles here in the states after the war. I know I can put a motor on it if I choose, but I've decided to keep the treadle for now.

Whoever she bought it from did a decent rehab on the whole thing - cabinet and machine. Both could stand refinishing, but all is in working order.

My only question: the belt was obviously new when Mom bought the machine. Old, dry leather always requires lubrication however. I know new belts are less than $10, but I'd rather just take care of this one.

I'm thinking just some shoe cream would work. Thoroughly massaged in and then thoroughly wiped clean.  This is how I treat my handbags, so I know the finish isn't oily or waxy.

Does anyone have any actual experience with this? Multiple internet searches resulted in no info.

Hendrick

No No, use some saddle soap... After softening it, just run it and gently hold a candle on the inside of the belt; after that it won't slip on the pully. Good treadling!

Nice machine, by the way

spookietoo

:D :D

Hendrick, the first thing that popped into my brain was saddle soap. I've had several jobs where I've needed to advise customers on leather care, but at 61 years of age, I have never needed saddle soap for any reason in my life. The smallest of cans at this point could be willed to my nephew!

With Covid, and Mom having a small stroke on Mother's Day, I'm not working at the moment. The smallest can of saddle soap is $7-$8 - slightly more than a new belt.

My brain just needs to talk things thru with someone at times. I needed to confirm treating the leather would be a good thing - no one addresses this online anywhere that I could find. With the simplicity of this machine, were I silly enough to drench the belt in olive oil, I can't imagine there would be any lasting damage that couldn't be easily rectified. I have a jar of tan shoe cream and I think the emollients will be enough. The belt is basically new and clean - just dry from sitting for 15 years.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I'm looking forward to treading again. At age 10, my first machine was a "White" brand of treadle machine that my Grandmother bought for me at an auction for $10. I made a nice doll dress (I still have on my favorite German doll) and then promptly ran my small 10-year-old finger directly under the needle-caught by the feed dogs. I was terrified to touch it after that, so Grandma took it back and auctioned it off for $10.

Not too many years later, Grandma, Mom and I lamented numerous times how we should have hung onto the machine till I was older.

Sorry for the long post. Any discussion other than what I'm cooking for dinner tends to start WW III. My parents have turned into 2 crotchety old farts. In their 80's. I love them both, but adult conversation is difficult these days.

Hope everyone's doing well!

Hendrick

Hi, I actually learned sewing on a Pfaff 138 (sewing linings) when I was about ten yrs old as well. At that time we still went to school on saturday mornings and in the afternoon my dad sometimes took me over to the factory. Usually there was one line doing overtime in sampling or small reorders and stuff like that.The sewists liked that because the over-hours were paid plus half... Anyway, I got a real "early introduction" and a hefty confrontation with machinery like Reece 101 buttonholers, Strobels and other special machinery. Of course fascinating to see, but mostly when they were not in full production, but sampling. There you could see, handling by handling, how stuff was done... Only a few months ago, I was lucky enough to visit some workshops in Italy. You would be amazed at the number of old Necchi's, Pfaff's and Singers that are still in use at sample rooms... Besides, it is just  a pitty to see these fabulous machines rust away. Especially when you know how well they sew. Luckily the quilting world is rediscovering the quality of these beauties and their amazing stitch quality, not to mention that they easily last a few lifetimes. Just this afternoon, I was sewing on a Singer 201 and this machine and the control I have amazes me every time I use it; it sews as precise as a servo controlled modern machine.
For treadling, however, I think I just lack the "eye, hand, foot coordination". When I see people treadling it looks dead easy. But looking at the piece, swinging the handwheel, tipping the treadle and manipulating the piece all in one time is too much for me... 

Good sewing!