Building a cutting table

Started by Petruchio, February 09, 2020, 08:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petruchio

Wow, thanks for all the great input. So after reading through the thread I decided to go for plywood as well. I guess the best option then would be an "unfinished" surface?

I am however painfully aware of the height problem since I am still doing all my cutting on an old dining table and constant back pain while cutting is the main reason I want to build myself a cutting table.

Henry Hall

Put that dining table on blocks while you are building a new table.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Petruchio

Now, I finally was able to build myself a cutting table from sanded plywood. I was just wondering if there is any finish or treatment I should apply or if I can just leave it as be. It feels a little rough still but nothing too worrisome, I guess.

spookietoo

I cut on a hollow core door, 32" w, that hangs on a wall when not in use, and I screw 2 legs in place when needed and balance the other end on a cabinet, giving me access on 3 sides.

I covered the door with a thin layer of poly batting and a flat weave fabric so that the fabric I'm cutting doesn't slip.

I rarely use a rotary cutter.

theresa in tucson

I use a cheap hollow core door as well, set up on tall saw horses in my garage.  The door is painted (factory finish) so it's quite smooth.  it works quite well.

Schneiderfrei

Petrucio, the last thing you want is fine fabric fibres catching on wood grain.

You should varnish it or oil it with linseed.

That would protect the surface from moisture, it would last longer and be smoother.

Sand it down to about 320 or 400 grit - doesn't take a lot of effort at that fine a grit.

The edges are also a consideration.  They should be either rounded slightly or chamfered, again, so that fabric fibres don't catch.

G

Schneider sind auch Leute

pfaff260

I started out with such a door as well, but i needed more space, so i topped it with a large sheet of ply wood wich i then painted. Works wonderfull.

Hendrick

Hi,

I use table tops from laminated oak (you know, made from smal bits) that are inexpensive. I put no finish on them whatsoever, but once a year or so I roll them outside and bleach them with chlorine or peroxide and they look new. I polish them by rubbing the with... a piece of oak; wood on wood...  For cutting, I span a heavy cotton lining over them with lots of clips. For pressing, I do the same, but with two layers of "movers blankets" under the lining.
I have used this setup for some years, works okay for me...

Schneiderfrei

That sounds like a labour of love Hendrick. :)
Schneider sind auch Leute