Cutting of a four button sack?

Started by Johnnyincubbias, July 14, 2022, 12:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyincubbias

Does anyone know how to adapt a sack coat pattern to remove the side body and just have a single side seam? Also has anyone done princess seams on mens coats and kept the shaping of the cut  rather than inadvertently adding a womens shape to the front or back?

peterle

The older Sack coat patterns don't have an extra sidebody, the front seam is just a dart from the armhole downwards.
Of course you can do a princess seam on a lounge coat without shaping the seam, it's more a decorative seam then. Very fashionable in the 70s.

Steelmillal

Gerry

A Princess Seam taken from the arm rather than the shoulder looks a little better on men IMO. More of a combination of darts (top of seam picks up slack under the arm); and looks wise, it's like an elongation of the normal front dart, without being too obvious. Example here (albeit for a waistcoat):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V0VrBjwT5k

Steelmillal

TTailor

For some reason I am not seeing the link In Gerry's post.
If I quote him as if to reply I see the link.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Gerry

Quote from: TTailor on July 15, 2022, 10:55:18 PM
For some reason I am not seeing the link In Gerry's post.
If I quote him as if to reply I see the link.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Could be a browser issue? if anyone else has problems, search youtube for "Een double breasted 4×2 waistcoat, lets have a look."

Steelmillal

Came up my laptop.
youtu.be/-V0VrBjwT5k

Greger

Poulin's book has a pattern without a side piece.

Hendrick

Try to get yr hands on "Drafting cotton garments and Mackinaws" by Harry Simons, a fun collection of work frocks and sack coats and the like from around 1915. Send me a pm and I can help you out...

cheerio, Hendrick

Steelmillal

archive bad, very bad... the voices made me get terabyte drives last year.... oh wait, 'searches' not 'voices'.. ;D

Schneiderfrei

Jeeepers I though I had trolled a massive amount off there, before it even shut down! But not terabytes worth. ;)
Schneider sind auch Leute

Steelmillal

I knew I was in trouble with tailoring data started displacing engineering data in the drives. Photos and old book pdfs ad up quickly.  ???  That and I found old F1 and B&W films. Background white noise while pad stitching. Besides, new drives are cheap finally. If I land a particular project, that will 'balance' it out some, ...maybe  ;)

Schneiderfrei

Quote from: Steelmillal on July 24, 2022, 10:55:57 PM
I knew I was in trouble with tailoring data started displacing engineering data in the drives.

;D
Schneider sind auch Leute