Construction of a pair of Jeans - Japanese woman demonstrates

Started by Schneiderfrei, January 09, 2020, 10:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schneiderfrei

Schneider sind auch Leute

pfaff260

Henry Hall

She knows what she's doing. The array of machines there is enviable. There are many of the old Singer and Union Special industrials that were made to perform one specific task, like that bar tacker for the back pockets and the machine for attaching the waistband.

She does an unusual thing on the crotch seam, but watch the totally efficient way she makes the pockets and everything in mirrored pairs, as it should be. And those hidden rivets in the back pockets... never seen that before. And the leg seams are a fake jeans seam, rather than lapped.

It's weird seeing things NOT pressed in-between operations!

Interesting video.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

theresa in tucson

I've got this site bookmarked for my next foray into jeans.  As to not pressing, the fabric she is using is not washed or preshrunk so it has plenty of sizing.  Finger pressing and the foot pressure are enough.
I too envy the machines, especially the one with the special folder for the center back crotch seam.

Schneiderfrei

I agree about the non pressing.

I have sewn up jeans in heavy denim.

It's very much like cardboard.

posaune

Yeah and I wondered that her fingers were not blue. Working with demin sometimes let my finger ans nails look very stylish :-)
I think I have noticed an old italian machine - buttonholer. What a machine park.
lg Posaune

Schneiderfrei

Henry Hall

'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Greger

Finger pressing and just pulling the cloth taut is all that is necessary so often. She does nice work.

The weather here is 16 F / 8.8 C and the north easter is blowing 11 mph / 17 K - right out of the Fraiser Valley of Fraiser River. I should move to Hawaii for the winter where it is warm. My winter clothes are in storage, so I'm cold. One guy around here is wearing shorts.

mhoyle

Yes, I didn't understand why she wouldn't use a lapped seam on the inside leg. She used it on the seat, with her lapped seam machine...

Schneiderfrei

mhoyle, it probably doesn't require that much strength or the extra layers of cloth.

Hendrick

Hi,

Only Wrangler sews inlegs on jeans with a feller. Japanese love Levis's construction; open outseam, safety inseam with topstitch. Their big inspiration is the Levi "Big E", that they consider the only real jean... They go as far as hemming them with a rare Union Special chainstitch hemmer that actually produces a puckered hem after washing. The sides of the jean are placed at the selvedge of the fabric, hence the center of the leg is not cut to the grain...