Tailoring Placement

Started by Julieh, January 13, 2019, 10:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julieh

Hello, im new and wondered if anyone can tell me how long it takes to train to be a tailor and when can you actually call yourself a tailor?

I am a very mature third year fashion technology student and i was a machinist for a few years many many years ago. I can pattern cut and sew to a very high standard, good hand sewing skills but never used a thimble on my middle finger, so im learning this as i type. I need to improve my welts and jets but they arent the worst. I have alterations experience also and make 1960s dresses in my spare time.

Im about to complete a 360 hour placement at a tailors as this is the route i would like to take for my future.

I have found out that the gentleman who owns the business has been trying to retire for a few years with no interest in a successor, his staff are nearing retirement age also. I think its the last working tailor in my town and it is very sad news for the industry.

My idea when i start and they have agreed is to practice stitches, padding and pockets etc. I will then draft a suit for a friend which they will assist me to do. I will also take stuff home with me as i am keen to learn as much as possible and will use your forum to help me.

Does it sound too outrageous that i would love to take over his business? Perhaps in a year. Any replies greatly appreciated.  Many thanks

Schneiderfrei

What part of the world are we talking Julieh?
Schneider sind auch Leute

Julieh

Im in Scotland. He has a steady client base, but i haven't looked at his books yet as I've not started. I have my own ideas of to bring the business up to date also.  Thank you.

Henry Hall

I guess when you get to the point where the people in that business think you are operating on the level they are operating and are willing to let you work for customers, you are then the tailor.

This is unclear to me though:

QuoteI'm about to complete a 360 hour placement

What does that mean? Six hours a day for two months? Three hours a day for four months? Eight hours a day for a month and a half?

I don't understand why anything past 24 hours is measured in hours.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Julieh

We have to complete the 360 hours before the end of the semester by the end of April. I assume its in hours as most students have responsibilities like jobs etc so telling us to do specific days wont work for most, giving hours over a 15 week period gives flexibility to the students. I plan to do four days a week, standard 7.5 hours a day, longer if i can. Im not officially finished studying until the end of May so will stay on as long as i can.

Yeah, i suppose you're right, they will decide if my work is up to scratch.  I think i just wanted to clarify if my dream was realistic as i know saville row apprentices take up to five years and that's with a diploma, but as you say, my work will be the decider.

Schneiderfrei

I second Henry Halls comment, I would look at their stuff next. Can you find out their reputation?

TTailor

I think there is constant learning to be done, but you would have to reach a level that they feel is adequate. No one wants to pass on their successful business and reputation to someone who will not succeed.

Make sure you get frank and honest feedback about the quality of your work.

Schneiderfrei

Julieh

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on January 14, 2019, 12:04:09 AM
I second Henry Halls comment, I would look at their stuff next. Can you find out their reputation?

I think their reputation is pretty sound. Sir Sean Connery being their most notable client.

Julieh

Quote from: TTailor on January 14, 2019, 01:01:06 AM
I think there is constant learning to be done, but you would have to reach a level that they feel is adequate. No one wants to pass on their successful business and reputation to someone who will not succeed.

Make sure you get frank and honest feedback about the quality of your work.

Thank you Terri, yes, i totally agree, you never fully learn anything in construction and sewing. I would not want to ruin the reputation of the business and im willing to do the extra to get up to speed, meet the clients and build a rapport with them. Im sure the owner is secretly delighted i turned up, he knows im very passionate.

Julieh

I understand the business has been established for over 50 years with the current owner taking over around 30 years ago, he told me who trained him and i assume he worked there and then bought it. I think the previous owner is still living as he said he had a young man going in who had worked in alterations and they were both training him,  but he left, i am assuming he didnt realise the complexity of the work involved. Why would you leave, its a business ready to be handed over.

I shall delve deeper when i start next week.  Thank you for all of your feedback.

Henry Hall

Sounds like a decent opportunity worth working for.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Schneiderfrei

Yeah, sounds Good.

The only other thing is are you prepared for changes in the profession, market, in the foreseeable future.  That is not to discourage, but you might need a conscious and strong plan to push yourself/company forward. I expect that is not a new idea for you anyway.

What do you think?

Julieh

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on January 15, 2019, 10:55:22 AM

The only other thing is are you prepared for changes in the profession, market, in the foreseeable future.  That is not to discourage, but you might need a conscious and strong plan to push yourself/company forward. I expect that is not a new idea for you anyway.

What do you think?

Im not sure what you mean by changing markets?
Obviously his current clientele have went there for years and are older. The business needs a complete re-haul, brand identity that will include my own ideas, a website, (they dont have email), clever marketing to attract new customers including women. I assume most of the fabric is sourced in the uk, which i will stringently  continue to do, i would think only  cashmere and merino are sourced overseas.

yes, i plan to meet with both textile scotland and creative scotland before i draft my plan. My aunt had a chain of businesses who will also be on hand with the books etc.

My main priority at the moment is to intensely learn tailoring skills and build myself an excellent reputation. He wants the business to continue hence why he's still there but after four years has given up on a buyer, and then i turn up!

Julieh

Bizarre thing is at my other placement today i met the only other bespoke tailor in my area who has just given up business, he's doing adhoc alterations. I think hed be a valuable connection to have for the future.