Introduction/First Trial Garment - Fit check and working cuff question.

Started by Adriel, January 13, 2019, 09:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriel

Hey y'all, posted an introduction already, so thought to also introduce the three piece suit I am working on, my first machine sewing project.

First though, this is the inspiration for the three piece suit.

Belonged to Opa who purchased it in the late '40s. I love high-rise, the almost strait legs coming to a wider leg opening, no pleats, and the suppressed waist.

First, the trousers.

I used a pair of pants to start the pattern, then added rise plus widened the waist band to match the cuff width, just because I can and find it being wider more comfortable. I know now from WA the pleats are too long, though don't know the correct length. Also, the glutes are not fitting perfectly and told somethinbg about the seam, though couldn't understand the explanation. Anything else needing attention?

Honestly, thinking maybe need to draft my own pattern to get it all right.

Onto the vest.

From a vintage McCalls pattern which I suppressed the waist and added lapels.

And then the coat.

Serebro is always by my side when tailoring, so figured he deserved to be in one of the pictures, though the other two also wanted.

Anyway, used a modern McCalls pattern except the lapels copied the profile of a '60s sport coat and narrowed so just over half the width of the chest, plus drafted my own sleeves as the ones that came with are rubbish, too skinny for even an emaciated Gumby. I still need to figure out how to pattern the cuffs for working cuffs, any help be greatly appreciated.

Henry Hall

'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Adriel

Odd I am not getting notifications either.

The pictures show up here just fine. I don't have a picture host so used the links from here: https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/threads/if-you-cant-purchase-it-make-it-yourself.240766/#post-1899262. I used the Mona Lisa button

Thanks and appreciation.

Schneiderfrei

Sorry Adriel, I can't get to images from that link, only a discussion re a typo.
Schneider sind auch Leute

Adriel

Why are we not allowed to post pictures?

Or do we need to upload onto the website and use a different button? I am not seeing any other picture insertion buttons.

peterle

I can see the pics now.
When you want us to help you fit the garments it is necessary to do it one by one.

So do you want to concentrate to the trousers or to the vest first?

Adriel

Ah, okay, didn't realize was so many to separate.

Based on feedback elsewhere, thinking need to draft my own trouser pattern. I did find this: http://trantanphat.com/tailoring/drafting/trousers_insts.html.

Is there anything I should consider from the previous?

If not, how about moving to the vest?