Halvey

Started by Thom Bennett, May 05, 2016, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thom Bennett

We used to use Halveys these at college to learn so I thought I would buy one, with arms to learn and practice my cutting of waistcoats and stuff.  I can add bits to change the shape of the body so I can try to understand the relationships of different body types to the necessary pattern alteration.

Half Scale Dummies
"Tailored with Love and Passion"

Social Media search for Thom Bennett Tailoring

thetailor.thom-bennett.co.uk

Thom Bennett Bespoke Ltd "Reassuringly Expensive"

Henry Hall

Hmm, 100-odd quid for only a half-size dummy? I have two dummies at size 46 and 48 chest (euro sizes) and they take up a fair bit of space.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Thom Bennett

They're great if you are learning as it is quicker, also if one is a designer as they are perfect 50:1 scale dummies so all one need to do is scale up to normal size.  I started learning by wanting to make clothes for myself however when I started on this waistcoat draft I realised that I  might find it easier to work in the way I did as a student, all those years ago.  I am getting a couple of strange results from the SB corpulent waistcoat, so I thought it might be a wiser approach to work as a student again and draft in half scale.  It is quicker to produce a garment, and, it uses less cloth so mess-ups aren't too costly; I also have loads of scrap to use.  I have a full size adjustoform tailors dummy which I am adding some lumps and sags to in order to help me learn to fit.

Apart from all that guff, I was searching for an original antique one and came upon this website, it's a shame that they don't do legs for the trouser form.

Henry Hall

Corpulent? You don't look portly in the photos Tom ;)
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

posaune

I knew them only for ladies.
http://www.berliner-buestenfabrik.de/images/preise/bbf_katalog.pdf
page 5  bild 9 in 1/3 or in 1/2
lg
posaune

Thom Bennett

We did have a wife for Halvey too, depending on what you wanted to study really.  I would love to have an original, but maybe I might try one of these. I can't tell if berliner-buestenfabrik.de/ still sell them as or any prices, sorry I don't speak German.  I have thought about finding some brave souls to cover me in tape and stop create a custom form.

I used to be 18 stone Henry, now 12, I have a lot of looseness and bumps in the wrong places.   :'(  Maybe I could try a standard draft, I do have an over developed left shoulder due to my walking stick.  I keep trying to use my right hand but I am a leftie and it is just natural to pick it up with my left one.  ???

posaune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLT6vsfkkkI&feature=youtu.be
this is one of best videos I know about doing a dummy.
If you can't stand as long, take two chairs and stand between. Then you can lean on the backs. If there are 2 people to wrap you, you must calculate about 1 hour.
lg
posaune

Thom Bennett

Ah great posaune, thanks a lot m'dear.  Sadly I don't think my friends' will be so accommodating, I'll have to find another way to do it.

lepus

Quote from: tombennett on May 08, 2016, 07:23:21 AM
Ah great posaune, thanks a lot m'dear.  Sadly I don't think my friends' will be so accommodating, I'll have to find another way to do it.

Easiest is to get a 3D scan of yourself and calculate from the point cloud co-ordinates for an XYZ-router or milling machine to mill the shapes out of blocks of foam. Alternatively, calculate the shapes of thin slices of foam that can then be stacked to produce a (scaled or not) dummy. Calculation takes a few seconds on a computer, but I'm sure that the traditionalists who prefer to do everything by hand would happily spend four years pressing buttons on a hand calculator.
There are companies that do it all for you, if your own 3D scanner happens to be unavailable, for instance this one:
dittoform.com

Thom Bennett

Thanks Lepus, I'm planning on visiting the US this year so I may pop in and get a scan, with a quick search I can not seem to find a similar service in the UK.  I wonder if there is a need for this kind of service over here?

pfaff260

Maybe they can help you? http://www.kennettlindsell.com/
Or these? http://alvanon.com/contact-us/
Here in the Netherlands it's abit of a niche market, but you can get them.
Friends of mine had them made here. http://www.verswijveren.nl/index.htm They are perfect. Real pro.
He does it with tape aswell.

Thom Bennett

If all else fails then a Kennit & Lindsell model might be good place to go, thanks pfaff260, I did say it was a cursory search. :( I think I will give them a call.  A friend goes to the Netherlands on a frequent basis so I could catch a lift and visit Verswijveren Mode sometime, thanks for all the info.  Still on the look out for a vintage half-scale model.