Tell me about these Wiss Shears

Started by logan74k, October 17, 2024, 09:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logan74k

So, I'm restoring a pair of shears for my niece who just went into college for costuming - just a reasonable pair of shears in poor shape from eBay. They came all rusted and have been sandblasted, mostly cleaned up at this point. Curious if any experts here in the Wiss line can say anything about these, if anything can be gleaned from the marks and overall form. Guesses at how old they are? From what I can tell from old catalogs, the hinge pin with the allen wrench seems unusual, and it screws into one half. I think I understand the standard nut would be a replacement/fix. Would love to find out anything I could include as info along with the finished sharp/polished/repainted shears for her. They are 13" shears. Thanks for anything!

Steelmillal

Standard Wiss shears from Newark N.J. Lotta meat taken out, but good first old'un. Best use for pattern paper. Get her a brand new W22N so she doesn't get discouraged 'tuning' a well wrung out pair and let her suffer the collector bug in her own time.

Read everything Hutch posted about shears and you can't go wrong, IMHO.

stoo23

QuoteRead everything Hutch posted about shears and you can't go wrong, IMHO
Like here: A Digital Museum of Professional Tailor's Shears

Specifically Wiss: Wiss Wonderland - A gallery of restored Wiss shears

Quotealong with the finished sharp/polished/repainted shears for her
I also have ALL of Hutch's Restored Shears available (although, the collection does Not have that Many Smaller sized pairs), and now that the weather is becoming more conducive to spending time in the garage to sort them out and find the individual shears people have expressed interest in,.. I may be able to help out, IF you are interested in a Pair, that are once again, as Sharp and functional, as the day they were made  ;)  :)
See here: Hutch's Shear collection - Sale

8)

logan74k

Thanks for the thoughts yall!

For some reason I thought the threaded pin with the allen head was unusual. Of course I'm watching a guy on Youtube right now fixing up some Wiss shears that just have a hex bolt and no nut on the backside, so ::shrug::  Was there any particular period where they just stamped the name on the blade itself?

I appreciate the link to good aftermarket scissors but since I'm stripping the handles to do a fancy candy powdercoat its probably not something I'll put another couple hundred dollars into upfront! I'll see how far I get and hopefully post results (or failure, ha) later on.

stoo23

They Weren't 'Powder-Coated' back in the day, ... it would have been Painted / Dipped or Enameled.

They also used a method known as 'Japanning', described by one of our members, (with Video), here:
Japanning

I would suggest a good correct metal undercoat and Enamel Spray can, would provide a good lasting finish (and easy to repeat, if it becomes worn over time), which IS, what Hutch did I believe  :)

Steelmillal

Ditto rattle can finish. I use a boat stone for cutting edge finish. Also, make sure you leave zero edge defects as they will eventually spall and at very least not cut and drag fabric fiber v cut.

I have a perfect #5 in the collection. I'll dig it out and photograph if time allows.

Steelmillal

Also, this works every time, and won't break heart when dropped.

stoo23

Hey Al, that seems to 'point' to your Amazon 'Cart', NOT a Product  :(

Steelmillal

On the right-hand side of the cart are three items, all Wiss, with a price. A 12"(W22N), 10"(W20) and an 8" 1-DS is a good trio to have. Thread trimmers are ebay scores with "sewing notion lot' search. It was on purpose, but thx. By the by, Besos is a bozo bastard that destroyed retail. I don't do anazon.