Lyocell fabrics for suit jacket linings?

Started by OlymposPartizanos, May 25, 2024, 03:34:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlymposPartizanos

I was introduced to this kind of fabric from a video of a textile engineer. Information on the internet says it is more eco friendly in production than viscoseļ¼Œ with simmilar moisture absorption to cupro, and more durable than this two and even cotton. It can also have a silky appearance.

Recently I made a jacket for myself with normal bermberg cupro body lining, but tried a piece of lyocell fabric in similar weight for sleeve lining. I weared it for a few days and it is quite good so far. I purchased it from the place that I normally purchase for my cotton and linen fabrics from, and the price (20 yuan/metre, about 2.8 dollars) is even a bit lower than bemberg fabrics (about same price per metre, but narrower width) that I bought from the internet (probably because they're mainly doing wholesale trade?).

I haven't seen any source mentioning use lyocell fabric for lining before, nor any search result. Is it just because it is quite a camparatively newly invented fabric (about 1980s) and not being a part of tradition of tailor's practice? Or is there any other reason? Have anyone ever tried it before?

Hendrick

Viscose and cupro lining fabrics are made to have minimal friction with skin or other fabrics during wear or gliding over other fabrics. In most cupro and viscose linings "filament" (continuous) yarns are used. In lyocel, fibres have different "staples"(lengths) and are spun into yarns that do not glide as easily. Compare this to a cotton lawn and a cotton sateen. The sheen of the fabric (or lack thereof)  is a good indicator of how well it will glide over anonther fabric...