Technology Is Eating Fashion

Started by mithusingh, December 19, 2022, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerry

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on February 05, 2023, 04:47:41 PM
Hi Greger,  It was a sweeping out of the old Victorian stuffiness. I think you would have had to be young.  I think it compares to the 60s.

Exactly. Ladies styles of the '20s were in part an ushering in of a new look, post WWI; but mostly a 1st wave feminist backlash against the repressive garments of the Victorian and Edwardian era. The shift dress was the dominant style of the 20s and its simplicity and shapeless comfort were considered progressive. Again, for women with a straight-up-straight-down figure, it's a great look.

A similar thing happened in the mid 50s when Quant set up shop. The shift style was revived as another backlash, this time against the WWII generation. It started late because cloth continued to be rationed until 1949.

Gerry

Quote from: pfaff260 on February 05, 2023, 04:53:11 PM
This is Stephen Jones the milliner from the UK. wearing the suit.
It's by Dior. I agree, you have  to be the slim type to wear it.
I thought it was a nice twist to the traditional suit.

It looks a hell of a lot better on him. Slightly long perhaps, but it just about works.

Again, like the 60s mods, if you're really slim then skinny lapels aren't such an issue. It helps if the wearer has narrow shoulders too. Craig doesn't, plus he likes everything a size too small, by the look of things. Someone ought to sit him down and explain the difference between wool and spandex.

Schneiderfrei

Schneider sind auch Leute

Greger

Daniel Craig, that coat couldn't have been fitted by a real tailor. It looks like it wasn't fitted at all. Do it even have a jigger button? With movies they try to change styles and fashions a bit. If they don't have real artists and people with know how, then it can become a shambles.

Greger

1920s, even the music and dance was radical. 60s college women had some wild stuff about it. Most every generation comes our with something unique to them.

Schneiderfrei

Greger I am certain the look was very deliberate. 

We had all young men copy this look for several years after that stuff came out.

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

elen43

I wonder, can fashion brands strike a balance? Can they be fashion-first and still make the most of technology to improve their operations and offerings?

The real challenge, in my view, is finding that sweet spot between preserving the creativity and uniqueness that fashion brings and harnessing the power of technology for efficiency and innovation. It's not an either/or situation, it's about combining the best of both worlds.

And, of course, let's not forget about the customer experience. Technology should enhance it, not detract from it. Can fashion companies like trymodest seamlessly merge fashion and technology to create an experience that truly resonates with their customers?

Steelmillal

I think having the well-developed hand skills are more important than fancy fad/fashion new gadgets being sold as latest money maker time saver. Pencil and paper always work. Speed and accuracy come with practice or innate talent some have. Rock of eye drafting, as example. Does anyone know hpw to easily save eutub vids to mp4s? This fellow is very good and uses Compton shears, too;D

New 'puter stuff is just old anthropometry run through excel/cad and printers. Posaune's macros, as another example, seem just fine, IMHO.

posaune

Yes, what I do in the Macro, is drawing with ,,pencil, ruler and Circle". I Feed it with the formulas and decide for it what rules - which are programed into-  it has to use for the pattern, say maybe if the Client has a rounded back or big bust or a Bad posture. It saves time when all is programed. But it was and is a Long way.

When reading the new Literature about using a Body scanner, feeding the measures into  3 D CAD, design the garment, draft the pattern by transfering it into 2D, sewing the garment per Software, evaluate the fit on  some 3D software models, I am happy that People and fabric are NOT Standard. So our work still makes Sense. Even if KI is taking over fashion
I think they Are developing this for 30 years now.
Lg
Posaune

Greger

New technology can be very useful. AI certainly has some benefits. AI can scan the internet to find relevant ideas. What is nice about bespoke/custom is that it can be far more personal instead of what is at present moment run of the mill. AI might even find a pattern that is close. Unless you have a plotter (printer) hand drawing is fine, and might be better. One method of drawing patterns is to mark relevant locations. Such as shoulder slope and balance. That would be neck point and halfway down the shoulder. The end of the shoulder is decided for that garment as to style or fashion or something else. This makes the pattern adjustable for numerous styles, etc. The sideseams are left for various styles, etc. Clothes are visual art. Envision the garment, then envision the pattern lines. Add inlays for body fit, and then, style/fashion fit.
Female clothing can be far more complicated than male. Females do so many things with cloth that males never do.
Since fashions don't last long only put in enough stitches to be good enough for their short life. You can think of fashions as temporary. Children have growing bodies which means temporary measurements, so temporary clothes.
The old tailor and cutter journals and books never talked down fashions. The bigger money is with styles, so that is where the emphasis goes. But fashion is profitable, too. Younger minds are active and fashions are useful for them. Older men have to many important things to think about and styles work best for them.
Mass produced fashions are chancy. Youth can change on a dime. Fashion companies put a lot of eggs in one basket. Poorer kids are limited in buying power.
I think small town tailors have it better. They get to make a larger variety of clothes.