Sleeve Board Question

Started by abruck, October 27, 2021, 03:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abruck

Hi Everyone!

I was looking for some guidance regarding making a cover for my sleeve board. I purchased a handcrafted wooden board some months back and have seen different suggestions as to which fabrics are best to use for a cover.

If anyone has any suggestions which fabrics work best or if anyone knows of a good cover I can purchase that would be greatly appreciated.

Hope everyone is doing well,

Alec
To be truly elegant one should not be noticed.

Hendrick

Hi, I make them myself in the heaviest draping muslin ("toile"). As pads, I use the cheapest possible movers'blankets and cut out three layers of that and stitch them together... Works excellent for me. I do the same for my ironing board, btw.

Cheers... Hendrick

Schneiderfrei

I like a hard surface. I use one layer of batting and 8oz canvas.  I make a nicely fitted pocket that fits over the wood and lace it up underneath.
Schneider sind auch Leute

spookietoo

I picked up an old wool blanket at a thrift store for $3. Washed it and dried it - in case of critters (it has a few moth holes). Used 3 layers for my ironing board and 2 for sleeve board. Both are covered with cotton duck cloth. Works great.

For a sleeve board, any 100% wool scraps that are large enough could work. This is the only reason I machine wash wool so that it shrinks/thickens up and felts.

Schneiderfrei

spookietoo

Was at my sister's and the padding on her board was horrid, everytime I ironed a shirt the diamond design of the metal board top showed up clearly on my shirt. Hateful to iron on also.

Ducked into a thrift store and lucked upon a chunk of 100%wool billiard table covering for $2. Washed and dried that stuff and 3 layers of it made for an incredible ironing surface. I loved it. Soft, absorbant, yet very firm. For giggles I priced buying it new. Sis has the most expensively padded ironing board in town!

Schneiderfrei

That sounds really good Spookietoo.