Found a 201

Started by Victoria Quinn, July 12, 2021, 04:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greger

There is a video of this one guy who make western shirts. For making cactuses and flowers, etc., the knee piece moves the needle lift and right. The more he pushes it the wider the
needle goes. He is very fast. He is probably retired now. Might have seen it on Threads website a couple of decades ago.

Victoria Quinn

I had a difficult time getting used to a knee bar speed control.  Both of the cabinets have them, but I just couldn't get comfortable in front of my work and still control the speed like I wanted.  Foot controls just come a lot more naturally for me.  Now a knee lift for the presser foot would be fabulous!  I could definitely get the swing of that.

I got a chance to play with the 201 and I am loving it.  That machine quite the engineering marvel.  Like a cross between a cat and a steam train.  She and I are going to be friends for a good long while.
Babydoll... You need some Rock 'n Roll.

Victoria Quinn

Went through the mechanicals and got her purring like a kitten.  Lots of old oil varnish in there... but she's cleaned and reassembled.  Clocked her in at 1,116 spm.  Not that speed is the standard, but I am using to it as a litmus test to see how freely the machine was spinning.  When I got the motor running, it was stitching smoothly, but felt a bit slower than others had claimed.  I was only getting around 650-700 spm wide open.  I'm pretty pleased with the improvement.  I'll have to pull her apart one more time when I decide to fix the cosmetics, but she's mechanically sound and ready to rock.

Hendrick

I use  201 and a 15k Singers. Both have knee control as well as foot control. I never use the knee control, it's too confusing, like changing cars from an automatic to a stick...

Victoria Quinn

Quote from: Hendrick on July 28, 2021, 06:59:06 AM

I use  201 and a 15k Singers. Both have knee control as well as foot control. I never use the knee control, it's too confusing, like changing cars from an automatic to a stick...

All my cars are stick.  My 72 El Camino had an automatic for about 6 months back in high school... told my dad I was going to throw it in reverse on the freeway if he didn't talk my mom into letting me switch to a 4 spd.  Still have that 4 gear ticket getter.  Never got another car or truck with an auto... Automatics are just boring.  I have to keep myself actively engaged to stave off Highway Hypnosis.  Same goes for long seams and edge finishing... "Highway Hypnosis". 

I hear great things about the Singer 15 series, but is it that much different from the 201 that it would justify having another machine?  It has sparked my curiosity.  I read just about everything on google about the two machines while I was searching something that would edge stitch better than the 500A.  The 500A likes to try and run off the end of the fabric when you get closer than 1/2".   ::) 

I'd love to hear your take on where the 15 and 201 really shine having both in your shop.

Hendrick

Hey...

The Singer 201 is a refined stitcher, although not fast. It forms a beautiful stitch with no tension problems on any weight of fabric. It is dead silent and very controllable as speed is concerned; well tuned it handles stitch by stitch sewing with ease even on coatweights. It is usually referred to as the "dressmakers'Singer" The transport is super smooth and will handle any weight. It is also very balanced and quiet; it has a rotary hook...

The Singer 15, in contrast, is a workhorse. It is extremely powerfull and the "penetration power" is phenomenal for a domestic machine. If you like to sew heavier weights, such as denim, canvas or upholstery stuff, this machine will never let you down. It is usually referred to as "farmerswifes' Singer". Meaning it is good for sewing any kind of material. Mind you, I wouldn't recommend it for silk crepe de chine, because the transport is a bit more "humpy" than a 201.

As far as the "dwelling" problem goes with topstitching etc., many older straight stitchers have that problem. The feed dogs are narrower than on modern machines and industrials. On top of that I (personally!) find that the foot pressure is too modest on these machines. First thing I did on my 201s (I own two) is changing the pressure bar spring to that of a Singer 20U...  On another note the "dwelling" is one point where a Pfaff beats most Singers; their feed dogs and feet are wider and simply have more grip, whereas the Singers have more "manouvrability".

Another tip; for really beautiful topstitching get yourself a few standard sewing feet and find an instrument maker who can file off 1mm height of the left "toe" at the exact distance to where you want your edge. Feet are cheap so you can have different widths made...

Cheers!

Victoria Quinn

Good tip on the presser foot. I think I have an old one laying around. I'll have to give it a shot.

The narrower feed dogs were a big selling point for me. I've struggled with ZZ machines and their wide footprint to get anything to feed straight once you get close to the edge of your fabric. I haven't done too much with the 201, but from the passes I've done, I'm impressed with how well it stitches at a 1/4 and 1/8". Much better than either of my ZZ machines.

I don't do much denim or canvas, but it does come up from time to time. I did a denim backed lap blanket for a friend of mine last week so she doesn't freeze on her porch come fall.  And I'll pick up the odd project with canvas tenting, or riding leathers. It's definitely not the norm, but I'm absolutely not going to risk my 201 on that stuff. My poor Universal usually picks up the questionable projects. It's my little Tasmanian Devil... very unruly and will eat anything.  I got the 201 exclusively for finer fabrics and edge stitching. Two things my Singer 500 hates to do. I will have to keep an eye out for a 15 if they're that good. Especially since I always have some personal project for a car, bike, or camp gear; I'm sure I can justify it to myself.  Do you have a preference on 15s? I hear the 15-91 getting a lot of praise.

theresa in tucson

Veronica, I have both a 15-91 and a 201 and can agree with everything Hendrick says.  I learned to sew on my mother's 15-91 and it was a tank.  She upholstered two couches on that thing and we made a horse blanket.  It's not really built for that, but will do it in a pinch if you are careful and take your time.  My sister has my mother's machine now.  I found mine in a thrift shop.  The 201 came to me from a lady going into assisted living.  I use her for topstitching.  Check out Craig's List, estate sales and local thrift stores or better yet, befriend an old time sewing machine mechanic.  That is how I acquired my Bernina 830.  My mechanic knew I was wanting a back up for my 930 in the event the motherboard blew a second time.

Schneiderfrei

Hi Victoria Quinn, what is your 'poor' Universal?
Schneider sind auch Leute

Victoria Quinn

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on July 30, 2021, 12:05:57 AM
Hi Victoria Quinn, what is your 'poor' Universal?
Its one of those late 50s Japanese machines.  Universal MZB.  She's a steel beast.  the cool fins make it go 20 mph faster.  Oscillating Class 15, 1.5A belted motor, High shank, left homing needle...  And has a buttonhole dial.  ;)

She was the first machine that I rebuilt, and how I learned how to sew.  I did everything on it before I picked up my Singer 500.  It was going from unbridled horsepower to a more "finessed" stitch machine.

I say "poor" Universal, because she's bore the brunt of my learning curve.  Like, "you probably need a different machine for that kind of material"... or "I'm shaking this table to pieces because your needle is far too old"... and the "Oh crap, there's a pin still in my fabric.  (twang!)"  I tend to handle my equipment with a gentle hand now, so I don't subject any other machine to that abuse.

Hendrick

Hi, again

For a class 15 Singer; get the latest built you can find. This is the most produced sewing machine ever, starting sometime around 1910 or so untill the late 50s. And that is without the (really not bad) japanese clones, some of which were produced by Brother...  So the later the built, the better the features (very early 15s have no backward stitch or visible stitch length controls!) The 15s I use have "rucksack"motors. the "potted motor" versions are harder to find in Europe but plenty available in the US. Mind you, refurbishing a potted motor requires patience and time but your machine will run like a dream...

Victoria Quinn

I'll definitely keep an eye out for a 15-91.  It may take a few years, with prices in the US having turned into small fortunes for the black singers.

theresa in tucson

That's because folks like us are extolling their virtues.

Schneiderfrei

theresa in tucson, ain't that the truth.

Vistoria Quinn, I have never seen that model in Australia, and I like the styling - very 50's.  Maybe they had that model on the early space flights?? :D

But I do love working on these old machines.  In more recent years I over stretched and bought a few industrials, each time telling myself that I would sell one to pay for the new.  But I have'nt.  I spent 6 months restoring a 1985 Juki twin needle, needle feed, back in 2018. That was fun, kind of.  Those things have about 10,000 parts, and I had it down to the deepest part of the Hi-rose. It works though. That's what digital cameras were made for.

Schneider sind auch Leute

Hendrick

I was curious about that "poor Universal"too. Nice machine, kinda reminds you of your moms' Datsun Bluebird doen't she? Or maybe those BMW Isetta's I remember seeing as child? ... Schneiderfrei, after that pressure bar spring or maybe cleaning a tensioner my toolbox goes on lock, so respect.