Found a 201

Started by Victoria Quinn, July 12, 2021, 04:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victoria Quinn

$30 for (what looks to be) a 201-2 and cabinet.  I'm excited.  Been wanting to see what all the hype was about with the Singer straight stitch machines.  And it shares a class 66 bobbin with my Singer 500A, bonus!

Babydoll... You need some Rock 'n Roll.

Hendrick

Trust me, it will not dissapoint you, especially at that pricepoint...

Victoria Quinn

Fingers crossed.   8)

Schneiderfrei

I loved my 219, which was given to me by a woman 33 years ago. Later, I realised she probably stole it.

Until I bought a727 Bernina for $30.00.

The metal gears of the singer make for a perfect stitch length and plenty of strength.
Schneider sind auch Leute

Victoria Quinn

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on July 12, 2021, 10:30:49 AM
I loved my 219, which was given to me by a woman 33 years ago. Later, I realised she probably stole it.

Until I bought a727 Bernina for $30.00.

The metal gears of the singer make for a perfect stitch length and plenty of strength.
The 219 looks like it was stout little machine.  Are those 3/4 machines? 

Great buy on the Bernina, I didn't even think you could buy a foot for one of those for $30.  I would kill for a 707, but those Bernina's are pricey!  Perhaps another deal will fall into my lap...  ;D

Schneiderfrei

The Bernina was the time I actually shut my mouth.

It was advertised for $30.00 because the foot pedal was lacking.

About 1/2 an hour from where I worked.  I figured I could get there and back in my lunch.

I got there and inspected it. Looked in the cover, and there was the foot pedal jammed in the wrong way.  I was about to say, "Hey" when I just shut up, and asked if $30 was still ok?  I didn't go for a reduction.

Its been great ever since.  And, where I live the feet are $70.00 starting.

Im not aware of the status of the 219.

G :)

Victoria Quinn

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on July 12, 2021, 04:11:27 PM
And, where I live the feet are $70.00 starting.
Yup... that sounds about like it.  Bernina's accessories are forged by Hephaestus himself, and every piece quenched in pegasus blood...  that don't come cheap.

Schneiderfrei

Hendrick

Bernina, the Apple Computer of sewing machines...

Schneiderfrei

Quote from: Hendrick on July 18, 2021, 08:23:23 AM
Bernina, the Apple Computer of sewing machines...

Yes indeed.

Victoria Quinn

Well, the 201-2 fell through... I can't decide if the seller already sold it, or just keeps re-listing the item with no intention of selling to get more people to visit his site (as I pony'd up full asking).  Either way, I got the money back and located another one.  No accessories, and apparently "doesn't run".  But everything but the boot for the forward gears was present on the machine, it turns smoothly, and will make a lock stitch turning it manually.  Seemed clean inside of all the inspection plates.... so I picked it up for $40 with table. 

Looking at the machine, it has some new LED in the light fixture (which was loose but not broken or stripped), and a new "electronic" pedal with it.  I have a feeling that the issue lies somewhere between the LED and the new fangled electronic foot control (since the original knee bar pedal is still wired in with a brand new 3 prong power cord).  Time will tell and I may get into the machine and find that they did some shade tree wiring under the hood to splice in these upgrades.

My only real hesitation on this machine was that it was a '53 model and I would have preferred the 30s/40s scroll work on the face and rear inspection plates... but I figured I could hunt down a set to dress it up some for what I paid and store these in my parts case.  With any luck I'll have her cleaned up and laying down stitches in the next couple weeks.

(I pulled the machine for transporting... had to buckle her in the front seat with me for safety ;))

Victoria Quinn

Well, I was busy yesterday, so I decided to look at the 201 this morning while I was having my coffee.... Pleased to say that the wiring looked pretty decent at the terminals, and I made a quick fix.  The person that rewired it, seemed to have wired the motor in on the wrong terminals.  I opened the 3 prong on the back of the machine, and saw the motor power wire on terminal 1. I moved it to 3 on the power block and magically the sewing machine came to life.  "VICTORY!!!"...  Motor seemed like it might be a bit slow, but that could be due to the cheapie pedal they gave me.  Supposedly, these machines will do 1100 SPM.  It feels quite a bit slower than my 500A running wide open (~1000 SPM).  I'll be digging a little deeper into it this week, but nice to know that continued efforts won't be in vain.  But lets hear it for... AN EASY VICTORY!!! HUZZAH!

Schneiderfrei

Moments of victory, Yeah!

Greger

Grandma had something like that. The pedal was bolted to the the bottom and a shaped piece of wood was bolted to that. It went down by the right knee. Push that with the knee to make it run. This is better than chasing the pedal around the floor with the foot.

Schneiderfrei

My old singer had a knee speed control.  Problem now is changing to a knee lift for the foot.

Very, very vexing.

G