Author Topic: Sleeve Linings  (Read 143 times)

spookietoo

• Home Sewist - Focusing on Tailoring TN - U.S.A.
Sleeve Linings
« on: October 29, 2018, 03:35:11 AM »
I realize this might be a question for another thread, but as the forum has been a bit quiet lately, I think anyone else wanting to find this answer would locate it easier in this section.

What is the deal with sleeve linings?  Why are they offered as separate materials from the Bemberg and such that are usually utilized for the main body linings?  Are they heavier? Are they lighter? What gives? And why the stripes?

I realize the answer may be buried on C&T - but there are only so many hours in the day.

I just ordered an actual paper catalog from WAWAK , and I am amazed at ther offerings that never seem to appear on their website via mobile phone or laptop.

The printed page is Soooooo much simpler to navigate for such things.

Greger

• Experienced Professional
Re: Sleeve Linings
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 03:10:31 PM »
And different woven method, which is stronger.

peterle

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 07:24:08 PM »
A sleeve lining fabric is usually in a taffetta weave and heavier than the body lining. So it is much stiffer and gives the whole sleeve more volume and cares for a nice hang of the sleeve. Iīm not sure about the stripes, maybe a kind of trademark of the mill? Sleeve linings often come(came?) in a narrower width to avoid excessive waste.

spookietoo

• Home Sewist - Focusing on Tailoring TN - U.S.A.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 09:10:22 AM »
Thankyou guys!

I've just lucked into various types of linings at a thrift store. This helps.

Thanks again!

Henry Hall

• Research
  • A very small jeff
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 09:02:24 AM »
I don't know about the sleeve linings being heavier, maybe they were traditionally, but they seem to be lighter than the main body lining these days.

I got a huge roll of (mainly) green striped lining which I thought I might use for sleeves. It feels too heavy; the only thing it worked in is a tweed jacket. I used it to make an (experimental) lounging robe and it worked out great! The back of the cloth is rough, brushed and stays nicely in place rather than sliding about as robes made out of satin-type material often do.

peterle

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 09:22:46 PM »
Henry, maybe your roll of "lining" is a roll of Barchent (as we call it in German)? This cotton fabric is heavier, very shiny on one side and brushed on the back side. It mainly came in fancy printed stripes. It was indeed meant for lounging robes and menīs winter pyjamas. The shiny outside is very useful in bed, because it slides nicely when turning around.

a vintage robe:

Henry Hall

• Research
  • A very small jeff
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 09:25:30 PM »
Henry, maybe your roll of "lining" is a roll of Barchent (as we call it in German)? This cotton fabric is heavier, very shiny on one side and brushed on the back side. It mainly came in fancy printed stripes. It was indeed meant for lounging robes and menīs winter pyjamas. The shiny outside is very useful in bed, because it slides nicely when turning around.

a vintage robe:

You are right. That is exactly what it is.