Show Us Your Curves

Started by Steelmillal, March 09, 2020, 04:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelmillal

A wee bit of math, some pencil/paper prattle, and some true art...

I'll clean this up when I have more time. Just try it... Be the curve... And look back at the earlier post photos and pick a project to duplicate for your studio.

Schneiderfrei

Schneider sind auch Leute

Steelmillal

Applications where it can be seen a variety of curves on hand are useful. I have a pizza box to show full size when I get done with it, haha..

Schneiderfrei

Can you show the mathematical proof of the vernier?

Steelmillal

I'd like to see that , too. Let it rip Schneiderfrei! 8)  Here;s the equation:

LindyBalboa

I don't see where Vernier entered the conversation? What in this post was the request about Vernier in reference to?

Schneiderfrei

LindyBalboa, slide rules, ancient history.

LindyBalboa

Schneiderfrei, I know what slide rules are, but so far as I know, they don't have anything to do with Vernier scales. Slide rules use log spacings and Verniers use unequal scale spacings, each for totally different purposes.

Schneiderfrei

Oh, I forgt, its been a while. Plus I was trying to remember the proof recently.

Steelmillal

When you recall, Schneiderfrei, I'd really like to see it. I've looked and can't find it yet. Finding the equation was a fluke. I was a "latch key kid" and handed a calculator in the 80s. Much appreciated, Sir.

Steelmillal

Quote from: LindyBalboa on October 20, 2021, 04:50:22 AM
I don't see where Vernier entered the conversation? What in this post was the request about Vernier in reference to?

He was clowning around, LindyB. Something about being upside down on the other side of the world lets the blood rush to his head...  ;D

I do want to see that proof, tho G, in all seriousness. It'll be handy when my our President turns our electricity off...   ;)

hutch--

I feel robbed with curves, I bought a nice pair privately that I was going to give to a friend of mine but she passed away before I could send them to her. They are no use to me as I have always drawn things freehand. I don't get the discussion about vernier calipers, nothing in fabris would have a use for them as fabric is a flexible medium.

Just as an aside, I recently picked up a brand new pair of 12 inch Mitutoyo calipers from AliExpress as Mitutoyo have a shop there. Magnificent tool but I also have a pair of Swiss made Etalon 12 vernier calipers that are very rare and they are perfect, A friend gave them to me.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Schneiderfrei

I never the discourage blood from getting to my brain. ;)

Steelmillal

Here's another method, but seems a very clunky way.

I draw curves like I've had my second stroke. They always look like I'm falling off my chair, so aids are required for me. :D

I looked on the drives for a photo of Fairgate stuff to copy via tangent method and this came up from the past..

https://web.archive.org/web/20150919163913/http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1148

For those who don't know, you can navigate the old forum within archive, iff you're not geo-blocked. No guarantees but it sometimes works.

Steelmillal

Something recently found with a grid for scale. Peace, Y'all.