Ebay Real Fur

Started by Steelmillal, January 26, 2024, 04:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelmillal

In Michigan it gets cold. Coyote (canine) is the best fur/fibre for warmth, other than Mongolian Yak. The seller below yearly offers many past-their-prime pieces that may be used whole or for projects like collars. Can't beat the prices as next to no one knows how to assemble furs from pelts. Best, AL

https://www.ebay.com/usr/phabio6

Greger

In the old days everyone knew the industrial name that made fur garments. If you can find that name, then you can find the books to make fur garments. It is a whole industry that is disappearing. A good place to ask is mink farms. Dad suggested that I go into this kind of work- making garments from furs. The local library had one of these books.
Wolverines are probably the best pelts for cold weather. Musk Ox probably the best "wool". You have to be as tough and rough as a bear to wear bear, unless you made the error of getting inside a live one.
These people have a very good eye for color changes. They cut the fur right on the change and butt the edges together and sew, and you can't even tell that it is two different varmints. One garment can come from many different varmints. None of the fur is wasted. It is all color matched for desire. What is cut away is matched for different color match. Like anything that cost lots there is far more to it. Even fur length has to match.

Schneiderfrei

Inside the Bear, that would be nice and warm!
Schneider sind auch Leute

Steelmillal

Quote from: Greger on January 28, 2024, 07:58:13 AMbooks to make fur garments.
I've the Mitchell one from the 30s photographed. It's all patterns and women's. Nothing but sections of hides edge seamed together after that, with silk linings. ZERO movement in hides so sleeves all sectioned for shape.

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on January 28, 2024, 11:25:09 AMnice and warm!
Nothing like varmint garments to combat cold. I've a coyote collar that is amazing when below 20degF

nigel

Hi! Long-time lurker here, first-time poster (I think). I'm working up a WW2-style shawl collar mackinaw and I've been thinking I'd like to try using a real fur pelt for the collar.

Any chance you could share the scans/photos of the book you mentioned? I assume it's this one? I can't locate it in any of the usual places.

Steelmillal

Sir, yes Sir. That's the one. Mitchell Pub was around until the 70s by recall.

This team always is a good stop for repurposed fur of all grades. Have fun and welcome.

Hendrick

Is that going to be a an army "jeep coat" or a "canadienne"style coat, I wonder?

Cheers, Hendrick

nigel

@Hendrick, I'd call this a jeep coat. Not sure how that differs from a canadienne. Double-breasted with a belt, shawl collar, flap pockets, and extra slit pockets on either side of the upper chest. If I can pull it off. :)

@Steelmillal, does Mitchell book give any secrets about piecing a fur collar? I assume I can get away with four pieces: leaf and fall, split at the center back, but I'm anxious since I've never worked with fur before. If you can share any relevant pages from that resource, I'd appreciate it.

Hendrick

Thanks...
We usuakky refer canadienne to non-military style as these were also made in heavy woolens whereasjeep coats were often made in heavy ducking fabric... Both are nice projects!

nigel

Quote from: Hendrick on August 03, 2024, 06:19:50 AMThanks...
We usuakky refer canadienne to non-military style as these were also made in heavy woolens whereasjeep coats were often made in heavy ducking fabric... Both are nice projects!

Got it. Good to know. I'll be making this out of some heavy navy blue wool... more appropriate for a pea coat, I suppose, but I wanted to do something more unusual. So I guess I am making a canadienne!

Hendrick

I was interested because I used to own a vintage coat like that in the 80s. I was in a heavy pressed wool plaid and it had a castor fur collar. The lining was a heavy satin in bright orange, so I suppose it was for hunting...

Good sewing, post some pics if you find the time, cheers, Hendrick

Steelmillal

just found all the photos in a file buried in a drive. Sorry for delay but will post photo of index first for other selections. Its from 1935 and all women's but can be inspiration if not direct patterns.

nigel

Quote from: Steelmillal on August 04, 2024, 10:54:20 PMjust found all the photos in a file buried in a drive. Sorry for delay but will post photo of index first for other selections. Its from 1935 and all women's but can be inspiration if not direct patterns.

Thanks for this!! It looks like "fur coat collar" (p. 84) or the sections on shawl collar (around pp. 98 and following) would be relevant to what I'm doing. I'd love to see the whole thing, though. If it's convenient for you to dump the complete set of photographs somewhere (even just a temporary wetransfer.com link) that'd be great. Thanks again for your help. Fur is definitely a new territory and I don't want to mess it up.

Steelmillal

Quote from: nigel on August 06, 2024, 01:21:15 AMwould be relevant to what I'm doing.

I'm on it. They all air gapped drives so 'moment, bitte'.

Hendrick

Al, is there actually a kind of standard around for working with fur? (printed or other) About 20 or so yrs ago I nearly broke my teeth on fur working (until I, luckily, found an old fur and glove maker...). I mean, I've seen them using "cupstitchers", the old fur festooning machines and the sort of planes to cut pile at the edges but I have never seen any real printed instructions about all that...

Cheers, Hendrick