How do I use a vintage electric iron?

Started by SO_tailor, September 17, 2023, 02:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SO_tailor

I know this might sound a little dumb to some of you, but how do I use a vintage electric iron like this:

More specifically, how do I turn it off without damaging the life in it? Do I unplug it? And if so do I unplug it from the iron itself or from the wall? I'm mostly wondering because there isn't a switch on it.

Thanks
-Solomon
—Solomon/Sol

Greger

You can unplug it from either end. The older irons could be used at different angles. Being able to unplug the cord from the iron would be very useful. It is why the cord is easy to grab that part to unplug it quickly.

SO_tailor

Quote from: Greger on September 17, 2023, 05:05:37 AMYou can unplug it from either end. The older irons could be used at different angles. Being able to unplug the cord from the iron would be very useful. It is why the cord is easy to grab that part to unplug it quickly.
And that's for turning it off if I'm correct?

Edit: Nevermind that was very stupid of me to ask :-X
—Solomon/Sol

SO_tailor

Quote from: Greger on September 17, 2023, 05:05:37 AMYou can unplug it from either end. The older irons could be used at different angles. Being able to unplug the cord from the iron would be very useful. It is why the cord is easy to grab that part to unplug it quickly.

So if I am understanding things correctly, when the iron gets "hot enough" I just go ahead and unplug the cord from the iron? Or do I just leave it in?

Also should I rest it on a trivet when I'm not using the iron when it's still being plugged in? (The iron I got from the antique store shown in my post didn't come with a trivet, so I'm just wondering if it's necessary)
—Solomon/Sol

Greger

If you tilt it back does it rest with the burner off the table? Otherwise, a trivet.
If it doesn't get too hot you can leave it plugged in until you are done for the "day".
How heavy is it?

SO_tailor

Greger I believe around three-ish pounds. It's not heavy, but it does have a good amount of weight into it to give a good press. I'm no iron expert but I'd say it's quite a decent size and weight. The burner itself is about 6" long by 3" wide.
—Solomon/Sol

Greger

Schneiderfrei

You can test theheat by flicking drops of water onto the hot surface. It should sizzle but not too much.
Schneider sind auch Leute

Steelmillal

Maybe get a power strip, too. Old thermostats do stick closed even though they are supposed to fail open. Will allow cutting power and cover overload protection without plug arcing. Good practice for old electrics. A trivet wouldn't hurt as they never go out of style.

SO_tailor

Quote from: Steelmillal on September 18, 2023, 03:08:57 AMMaybe get a power strip, too. Old thermostats do stick closed even though they are supposed to fail open. Will allow cutting power and cover overload protection without plug arcing. Good practice for old electrics. A trivet wouldn't hurt as they never go out of style.
You know I always loved the style of trivets! I found a couple on Etsy that have almost a paisley-ish pattern it. There not in the shape of an iron (more like a plate) but I find leafy patterns pleasing aesthetics. Besides my iron is a pretty decent size (3"x6") so it'll due!
—Solomon/Sol

Steelmillal

Back in them olden days, irons were kept on the stove. Trivets were used to keep wooden tables from getting scotched or burning so "more like a plate" fits. Look at antique shops for trivets. No oneuses them and most often hang on walls.

SO_tailor

Quote from: Steelmillal on September 20, 2023, 03:50:21 AMTrivets were used to keep wooden tables from getting scotched or burning so "more like a plate" fits.

Precisely the reason I was going to get one! I also found a couple decent trivets on eBay so all goes well ends well  :D
—Solomon/Sol