I have been missing for a month straight

Started by hutch--, April 19, 2023, 02:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greger

Thought that he might die. Was hoping that that would not be case at all.
Sad to bring this up. How is this website going to keep going? Will someone start a new one?

SO_tailor

Quote from: hutchneighbour on May 28, 2023, 10:21:50 AM
Very sad to report the news but I am reliably informed that Hutch passed away the night before last. He had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a few weeks ago. He did return home briefly from hospital but was soon readmitted and spent his last days back there in their care. Steve will be greatly missed in the street by all his friends and neighbours. He really was part of the Surry Hills landscape. I believe his mother had lived in the house before him so even those of us who are approaching 20 years as residents felt like relative newcomers. He would regularly wander up and down our quiet street to give his eyes a rest from computer programming or working on tools. Hopefully someone has access to his files so the community he built here can continue but I am not really across that. RIP Steve, Richard

Oh my word, I give my condolences. Very saddened to hear this fellow has passed away. R.I.P. Hutch.
—Solomon/Sol

SO_tailor

Quote from: Greger on May 29, 2023, 05:53:07 AM
Thought that he might die. Was hoping that that would not be case at all.
Sad to bring this up. How is this website going to keep going? Will someone start a new one?
I'm concerned with this as well Gregor. Perhaps Archive? It has been handy in preserving "dead webs" like the old Cutter and Tailor forum.
—Solomon/Sol

Schneiderfrei

I share my concerns with Greger and SO_tailor,  I believe he was the owner of the website.

Does anybody else know anything about it?
Schneider sind auch Leute

Steelmillal

I expect he took steps to make it bullet proof as he struck me as quite learned and experienced, i.e., knew his business. Plus, if he felt unwell and was worried after coming home before, he may have made it boilerplate. I was going to ask my son tomorrow to start looking. He's that kind of uber smart, too, and may breeze to a solution.

Today we should grieve a friend and tomorrow we should grieve the war fallen. Tues we may have something worth sharing.

Edit: I just took a quick poke around and found things for my son to dig farther into. I'll start posting the full direct page links for the old forum on archive tomorrow, like I was supposed to long ago, but let it be organic like DZ said. Best to capture all now or at least save all hyperlinks.

Be well all!

Schneiderfrei

That is very well spoken Steelmillal,

I have had all those thoughts too.

G

Greger

So sad. He wasn't that old. I've been at deaths door and know how quickly life can come to an end here on earth. Wish he was still healthy.

Gerry

Terrible news. Not at all what I was expecting this morning!

TTailor

Oh no! Such sad news! He helped us all in creating this space.

SO_tailor

I also believe he would have made plans to ensure that the forum was still up and running if something like this happened. After all he built quite a considerable community all hidden in a domain name that most would probably not expect to be a forum for tailors. MOVSD/BC&T is truly the definition a "hidden gem", hidden in a vast sea of different forums and webs. Hopefully, even if this forum's web is disconnected, there will be another forum for tailors to communicate with one another.
—Solomon/Sol

stoo23

Hello to All & Sundry.

By way of introduction, I was a Long time old friend of our recently departed "Hutch",...   :( :'(
(I first met him whilst engaging in a particularly obscure hobby in 1970, as a young teenager)

Firstly, may I Sincerely thank you all, for your Kind, sincere and obviously 'Heart-felt' comments.

Like Many that knew him personally & locally, (in SO Many diverse & different endeavours and walks of life), he WILL be Missed by us all,... So Sad,.. We,... (possibly much like he himself) often tend to live our lives, pursuing our Interests and activities, without thought relating to our Age, Health and Mortality so we are at this stage somewhat unsure about certain aspects.

Along with his Brother and a couple of Other Close friends, spent a few hours at the House yesterday reviewing the situation, Gaining access to his computers etc and searching for appropriate possible documentation etc.

Hutch also ran another Forum / Web site for Serious Assembly Code Computer programmers of which I was vaguely aware of, but Had NO Idea of this site. It was only through the advice of 'hutchneighbour' that I was made aware of this Forum.

Just thought I should let you all know, that I managed to find 7 speak with the 'Hosting' company here in Sydney and they were very friendly and helpful and at least for the time being All should remain in place and functioning without fear of the Site disappearing.

I have informed them of the situation etc and hopefully we will be able to gain Admin' access and begin appropriate discussions with your 'Community' of users about how to manage and look after this 'Resource', moving forward.

As both this and the other forum are Hosted together on their own Dedicated Servers, it may be that one of the members of the Computer Programming Site may be able to take on and look after Both sites (to at worst keep the Software up to date and do regular Backups etc.

I AM contactable, but may perhaps be better to discuss matters at greater length, once we have all the account information etc 'at hand'.

Thanking you all once again for All your kind words and thoughts,.. I will keep you all informed as necessary.

Regards,
Stewart

Schneiderfrei

Thank you Stewart,

I am in South Australia and would be happy to be contacted.

G

stoo23

Hi and thanks, PM sent replying to yours :)
cheers

Steelmillal

Thx Stuart. Warmest regards to all Hutch's friends and family. Please do what you can, Sir. He literally touched people around the world and allowed us all to interact and share this trade, when it otherwise would've faded years ago.

Best rgds, AL

spookietoo

Oh my. This is such sad news and I feel horrible for not checking in sooner.

Peace be with you, Hutch. You were indeed a kind and good man.