Domestic Straight Stitch vs Zigzag Machines

Started by spookietoo, February 06, 2023, 08:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hendrick

I have a buttonholer attachment for my Singers, too. Mine is branded Necchi /Elna. It works flawlessly and yes, with a "second tour" it does a beautiful buttonhole! Nearly all these attachments are made by Greist under many many brand names from Singer to Jones to Ena etc. There are even types for the "slanted foot" Singers available (not my cup of tee...)

Schneiderfrei, the Durkopp was actually an improvement over the Reece 101 which was an industry standard but could only be rented and had a counter mech; you had to pay by the buttonhole... The Durkopp is mechanically not very different from the Reece but it is a more precise machine. The big difference between these and (most) Juki's etc. is that they form a festooned stitch, like a handmade buttonhole. Many modern machines just overcast, like a domestic...  Here is a link to what they can do today'  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceDsp2FVONQ

Schneiderfrei

Ah, festooned = handmade quivalent, I understand.  Although it doesnt seem to insert any gimp under the stitches.

My Pfaff 138 has the capability to do this, but not automatic, and I havent done it.  I wonder if peterle has done gimp buttonholes on his 138?
Schneider sind auch Leute

Hendrick

I learned machine sewing on an industrial 138. I have a link or a little video somewhere pf a lady doing an eyelet buttonhole on it, in a pair of jeans. I tried it on a Pfaff with an acrylic presser foot; nice!

Schneiderfrei

Schneider sind auch Leute

Greger

That video is quite amazing. Pretty buttonholes. Wonder how long the buttonholes last. They are certainly figuring out how to make better machines. The last pretty buttonhole I bought at the store didn't last very long. Ripped it out and put one in by hand. The cloth wore out and the hand made buttonhole looked new. And, I actually like the look of the hand made buttonhole. When walking through Nordstrom I'll usually look at them. Don't know if the cloth is fused. That would make a difference in durability, how the stitch is done.

Hendrick

Know what you mean Greger... Narrow and tight stitches with thread that is too thin... Worse still; this sort of buttonhole in a coarse coatweight holds too little material and you can "pluck" it out of a coat accidently.

Greger

That sounds terrible Hendrick. Worst than what I wrote. I guess they are throw away garments anyway. People are brainwashed that it doesn't matter either.

Hendrick

I;m not joking. I saw a men's coat at a worldwide fastfashion retailer with a buttonhole spliced out of the fabric. A salesperson had the audacity to arrange and put it back in the rack. Mind you, it was during early sales, but. That blew my fuse; left for a coffee...

peterle

No, Schneiderfrei, I have'nt done a gimp button hole in my Pfaff, simply because the device was missing when I bought the machine.🥺 I tried to get one, but had no luck yet. I only do shirt button holes on the machine using just a button hole foot wirh two grooves. No buttonholer.

Hendrick

Peterle, do you have the foot with the ruler in the back???

peterle

Do You mean this one? Ist's a low shank and I 've to use the adapter for the 138.

Hendrick