“Journey of My First Bespoke Suit”

Started by SO_tailor, December 26, 2022, 07:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SO_tailor

There was this interesting video I found about the cutter Geoff Souster, which in turn so I thought fellow "formers" find it to be interesting. Hopefully the link works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTOupoqSesc

In case the link doesn't work, here it is below:
www_youtube.com/watch?v=gTOupoqSesc
(Replace the underscore after "www" with a period)

Also sorry I haven't posted in a while, just been quite busy. I will try to post more often but I can't promise it.
—Solomon/Sol

Greger

Gerry

That video came up in my feed the other day. I really liked the end product, a nice suit. The stuff about changing the trousers pattern for muscular calves was good info too.

Greger

20 years plus, at another forum, this guy had bought these trousers. Several months later the skinny style showed up. He took them to an alterations tailor to have the legs narrowed. Posted a picture or two.  An old tailor, sure he has passed on, said something like, "You must have lots of rubbing on your calf muscles when you walk." He probably included, "Hope they didn't cut away the extra cloth."
When making close fitting clothes there are more curves to think about.

Gerry

Quote from: Greger on December 27, 2022, 09:28:45 AM
20 years plus, at another forum, this guy had bought these trousers. Several months later the skinny style showed up. He took them to an alterations tailor to have the legs narrowed. Posted a picture or two.  An old tailor, sure he has passed on, said something like, "You must have lots of rubbing on your calf muscles when you walk." He probably included, "Hope they didn't cut away the extra cloth."
When making close fitting clothes there are more curves to think about.

I think Mr Souster is 'Mod' generation. If so, he'd know all about cutting narrow trousers. Those who were apprentices in the sixties tend to be really versatile cutters. They learnt the traditional ways of cutting at work, but they'd have an eye on the current fashions and experimented when it came to their own clothing. Especially those who took cutting courses outside of their apprenticeships (Edward Sexton is another who's incredibly versatile - his women's tailoring is incredible).