Attaching a collar to a shirt

Started by Petruchio, July 14, 2022, 07:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petruchio

I stumbled across this rather helpful video of how to attach a collar to a shirt:

https://keepbritainsewing.com/tutorials/attaching-collar/

I'm pretty sure this video was posted already, but I do have a question about his process (the guy in the video is one of the Cutters at Budd). I've seen this now multiple times, that shirtmakers mark the insert points of the collar by just folding the collar in half and then again in quarters. Which also means that the neckline must be at exactly divided in quarters by the shoulder seam.

Now my method of enlarging the collar size - and according to the Rundschau system -  would be to do so on the front pattern - therefore offsetting the quarter division. I guess I just wanted to ask what your preferred method of marking the insertion points on the collar is, since my method of measuring every single time seems to be rather time inefficent.

posaune

I notch at center front, shoulder-neckpoint and center back.
I understand here: where the yoke in front ends, this is the notch place on the collar stand.  It would not work with my construction because I use a wide button stand. (3.75 cm)
lg
posaune

TTailor

You can choose whatever notch placement that suits you.

I can see that dividing in quarters is a process easily done by the person at the machine. They have engineered their necklines and yoke seam placement so that works for them.