Peter Greig & Co closes

Started by Steelmillal, July 26, 2021, 10:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelmillal

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19352876.closed-200-years---scotlands-last-linen-mill-still-spinning-good-yarn/

I recently researched Philadelphia, Pa. looking for a particular weaving company for needed parts, so the story is familiar.

spookietoo

This is so depressing. It seems we will only have access to the schlock coming out of China all too soon. :(

Steelmillal

Parish the thought! Demand quality; it lasts longer and therefore uses less energy measured over time. Carbon cycles are seasonal, however, and next-day will never happen again with them fully deployed. Consumers, thus, need to be educated, patient, and petted until "it" is ready.

My son is in finance and rattles off formula for this and that. I tell him the longwool sheep down the road care little for his logic. It'll be done when it's done.

spookietoo

Steelmillal - I know this, you know this - virtually everyone on this site knows this. Problem is - the general public doesn't know this and doesn't want to know it. They actually convince themselves that by making general purpose cleaning solution from vinegar and dishwashing liquid, they are doing their part to "save the planet". BTW - the cleaner is total crap as it has a purposely hidden ingredient - massive amounts of elbow grease! But who cares when it's your cleaners being forced to work like dogs.

No, the general public wants its luxury autos, latest I-Phone, granite countertops in the kitchen, and fancy vacations while they purchase mountains of disposible clothing so that a new outfit can be worn each day as repeatedly wearing the same garment is "low class" and "unfashionable".

Then there are the Retailers who do not want to sell garments that do not need to be replaced constantly. They much prefer selling 20 garments for $20 each at a 1000% markup than sell one garment for $80 at a 75% markup -that won't need replacing for at least 3 years.

No, for the Chinese schlock to not take over everything, governments will have to step up and mandate better quality clothing. I don't see this happening anytime soon. It's been known for several years now that this disposible clothing is the hugest contaminate to our drinking water and nothing has been done. The clothing disintegrates with each washing and is responsible for the growing amount of plastic molecules in our water supply - and no one cares.

The thing is, man made fibers can be made to be virtually indestructible- but then it wouldn't fall apart. I have one acrylic cardigan that is 20+ years old. It has never pilled. It still has no holes. The top button did however wear out and require replacement of all buttons. This is the only time I've ever experienced such a thing. The button didn't break - the thread wore the plastic out between the holes - and the sweater is still excellent. I don't believe a wool sweater would have lasted thru the abuse this garment has been subjected to. Having a lanolin allergy, wearing unlined wool can be problematic for me. Every acrylic garment I've purchased in the last ten years, shows significant pillage after one wearing and upon laundering is generally evenly pilled across the entire garment. Forty years ago, I would have returned the garment to the retailer and received a full refund. Twenty years ago, I would have tossed it. Now I have to continue wearing it while also realizing I'm the only person in the room that recognizes the problem. This has been true of women's RTW for several years and is now commonplace in menswear as well.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. I really must find a way to subject myself to "happy" news. Covid, nuclear wars, and collapsing societies are all eating away at my brain.........or is it the plastic in my drinking water? :D

Schneiderfrei

The classic line for me is the impoverished English aristocrat who proudly boasts, "I bought this cardigan in 1965!" and it's true, and it's totally thread-bare.

The market for class is very, very high end.  My hand made efforts certainly confuse those around me, but well made style is still recognisable.

Schneider sind auch Leute

Steelmillal

Quote from: spookietoo on July 27, 2021, 04:06:11 PM
I really must find a way to subject myself to "happy" news.

"...at least it ain't snowin'..." Best I can offer at the moment.

I dumped my iphone a few years ago. That was my big disconnect 'happy' moment and it was harder than quitting tobacco.

Oh, and ad some Kentucky bourbon to the plasti-water. It helps with attitude adjustments, and has tannins and vitamins.. 8)

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on July 27, 2021, 09:48:08 PM
My hand made efforts certainly confuse those around me, but well made style is still recognisable.

Things made by hand have a different vibe: they look, feel, and swing in unique ways. I think that's called 'character'.

Schneiderfrei

Stellmillal, you didn't oughta break my cover.
Schneider sind auch Leute

Steelmillal

Forgive me, Schneiderfrei, I should have said 'artisan quality'. As a hack, I make things with 'character'. :D

spookietoo

[quote

I dumped my iphone a few years ago. That was my big disconnect 'happy' moment and it was harder than quitting tobacco.

Oh, and ad some Kentucky bourbon to the plasti-water. It helps with attitude adjustments, and has tannins and vitamins.. 8)

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on July 27, 2021, 09:48:08 PM

But if I dumped my phone, I'd be dumping you guys! No can do.  As it is,I've stopped reading and viewing the atrocious doom's day reports - the headlines are doing me in! The cable has even been disconnected so the dreadful Fox News isn't spewing thruout the day.

And as for drink, though I could be in Kentucky in under an hour, I prefer my whiskey from the other side of the pond - land of gray skies - single malt variety - and then none of that pesky plasti-water is needed!

I did finally discover yesterday that though my favorite source for discounted woolens has reverted exclusively to lower end blends, their major competitor who had nothing to offer a few years ago has now picked up the slack and has a very nice selection only a bit more expensive. Good to know some of us still care.

spookietoo

I guess maybe I'll get the hang of this quote stuff at some point. No clue at the moment as to why its backwards!🙄

Hendrick

Hey,

Spookietoo, the problem is that todays' consumer doesn't understand the difference between quality and robustness (if that's a word at all). You don't wear a super 120's suit for bike riding in the pouring rain (at least I don't). And yes, linnen does crease and we used to all know that. Since clothing has become "fast moving consumer goods", longivity has become the mathematical opposite of todays market mechanics. I learned today that Shein, a chinese e-tailer has become the largest clothing seller in France...

spookietoo

The statistic about Shein is quite depressing.

I've had white collar office jobs that I wouldn't have worn super 120's to work unless I was certain no job site visits were involved that day. Any knowledge as to clothing quality is having to be learned only as a personal interest, and with the plethora of bad info on the internet it would be difficult for anyone to learn the differences on their own.

It would be wonderful if educators would concentrate on actual basic knowledge and skills again instead of wasting time re-inventing history and other nonsensical subjects.

If clothing hadn't been turned into a disposible commodity by greedy corporations, it would cost more and people would be concerned about longevity/quality once again.

hutch--

I had to go the other way with mobile phones, I hate the horrid things but I need to have one to enter some locations to read a QR code. My land line phone is getting worse and it seems to be delibrate to force you onto much more expensive cost calls with a mobile. Internet is still the cheapest form of communication.

The only real use I have for the mobile phone is to talk with my older brother's widow, she is still doing it tough at the moment as they were married for 50 years. Just spoke to her and she is going into hospital tomorrow to get a shoulder replacement.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D