Heinisch #12 Restoration Project

Started by MrLufi, February 06, 2024, 11:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrLufi

I'm actually debating just leaving the blades as is with these, unpolished, but properly sharpened.

These are by far the best-condition shears I've come across so far. The blades are perfectly intact, the bolt is at a proper tightness. Quite amazing, actually.

What do you all think? Should I just get these cutting and leave them be? There's something about the character of the iron, covered in age that just strikes me as worth leaving be.

Schneiderfrei

I have never polished any of mine.  But I have, so far, they tend to pass away, an excellent sharpening company.
Schneider sind auch Leute

MrLufi

Turns out these are going to be a full restoration as well. The moment I opened the bolt I saw a crapton of rusty crud hanging out inside like old food in a cavity. Can't have that.

MrLufi

Here's after I resurfaced the blades to 60 grit, removing the pits in all the places aside from super deep ones along the fused cutting edge and handles. The handles aren't worth doing because they'll be coated in several layers of Japanning.

MrLufi

While working on the blades, I'm also preparing the baking setup for the Japanning. I just bought a used toaster oven that fits them, and I created a wire suspension rig that allows the pieces to be dipped into Japanning, cure, then pivot horizontal, hung from a rack and be held securely to bake them evenly.