Valentina and computer drafting systems

Started by TTailor, January 19, 2021, 12:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schneiderfrei

Thank you so much Terri.  With all this discussion, I thought it would be time to have a look. :)

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

Voncarlos

Here are my updated efforts so far. Next I'm going to tackle a sleeve.

"He measures time from fading stars,
brings down the sun to tell how far
to here and now, the hidden pearl
in bearings, wheels, and worlds."-Thom Moore

TTailor

Have you made alterations to the draft for your figure? Or is this just the basic draft in your size?

it seems we have opposite but complimentary skills after reading your intro on Seamly2D

I was able to upgrade my OS, and hopefully, I will be able to switch from Valentina to Seamly shortly.

Voncarlos

Quote from: TTailor on February 10, 2021, 03:48:57 AM
Have you made alterations to the draft for your figure? Or is this just the basic draft in your size?

Hi, just the basic draft. I didn't want to do too much, but just learn the software. I still have lots of tools to learn.
For me it was fairly easy to input the drawing but it takes some time understanding how Seamly2D computes it and then to manipulate the various data boxes to get a finished pattern. It's pretty cool !
I think Seamly2D would be very good for your work in the theatrical costume cutter/tailor world. Of course I know nothing about it, but it looks like many of the costumes share a basic layout. I think it would be easy to print out a basic pattern to the actors measurements and then hand draw any changes or details the art director wants.
"He measures time from fading stars,
brings down the sun to tell how far
to here and now, the hidden pearl
in bearings, wheels, and worlds."-Thom Moore

Steelmillal

Bumping this to see how people are doing with the software, and to find out the most creative way printing has been solved.

TTailor

Oh the printing issues.

I recognize the amount of work that has gone into this program, and most of the tools that I found less intuitive at first have been workable.
Setting up a layout has been painful and seems so difficult compared to the rest of the program.

What I would love to see, is this:
Drag and drop  your pattern pieces onto an empty field based on the paper size you want to print on.
For A4 sized paper it should come up with a tiled set of pages.
Drag and drop, rotate options to place your pattern pieces onto the paper field.

At the layout point last week, I had to ask for help from the forum. Help was quickly offered and I was able to print out a child,s bodice with little waste, but up til that point, i felt like tearing my hair out.

Otherwise, I am getting used to the process, and find it interesting to be able to use.

posaune

Is that not all fantastic? I like drafting patterns with computers.
In my program I can do me a cutting layout easily. I can move and rotate the pattern around and I can see how much fabric is used. I scale the cutting layout down and print it inside a pattern piece. So have it handy when needed. This is nearly impossible when drafting by hand. 
lg
posaune

Steelmillal

No doubt computers increase speed, precision, and repeatability. Labour hours are real costs. Mistakes eat margins. And I remain concerned the basic skill sets suffer with the universal rollout of gizmos and fewer learning 'da old ways'. Pencils work even in blackouts.

Truth be told I haven;t played with this package at all since I need more CAD like I need more shears. However, it looks very useful for the sector it's for. Plotting full scale cost effectively is the sticker for me.

For cheap 3D, there's a package called RHINO. I'm NOT suggesting anyone get it foe their day to day shops; learn pencils and watercolors before gizmo reliance. But, it's interesting on the bottom end of surfacing tech. Me, I've a box of German slide rules on the way so I can try to duplicate Russian pattern formulas, to keep the grey matter atrophy in check.

TTailor

Just an update on my progress with computer drafting.
I really like using it, the more time I spend playing around the better I get with it.
I don't know if I would naturally use it yet for a project in production, but  I have a research project in mind that I think will make use of it. So I am writing up a grant proposal. Fingers crossed!

It's keeping me occupied with learning something new yet since it is based on my already acquired knowledge, it feels familiar and is satisfying.

I think I will soon be at the point of trying out some printing, but I dont want to print at home right now.
I would like to print on a plotter, so I will be using the local copyshop. That could get expensive though.

I am thinking about experimenting with exporting the files into inkscape, maybe trying to produce a set of patterns in a three size grade, so lots still to learn and lots of trial and error perhaps in front of me.

If anyone has advice with using inkscape in conjunction with Seamly2D, i would like to hear about it.
Cheers

posaune

Oh I am so glad you like it! I wish you much progress and joy with the program and hope you will master the grading too soon.

lg
posaune