Slotted Waist Tape

Started by Cafe Impecunious, January 16, 2021, 10:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cafe Impecunious

A couple months back, I purchased Sewing Vintage Menswear by Sebastian Hoofs & Niklas Hoppe, and made a couple of garments with varying success, but, what is slotted waist tape?  All the searches online have turned up either tape measures or tri-fold bias tape.  Is this simply a German tailoring term or am I missing something?

theresa in tucson

Cafe Impeceunious, at one time there was a slotted interfacing used for waistbands.  It was sold to the "home sewing" market.  Maybe that is what they are referring to.

peterle

Is it needed for trouser making? I think it could be a waistband inlay. Usually finished waistband width plus two SAs, parted by a slashed line where the SAs will be bent inside.

Cafe Impecunious

Thank you Theresa in Tuscon, the slotted interfacing looks like the illustrations for the trousers, and I hope I make them correctly.

Hendrick

I remember a stiff perforated pre-cut inlay for waistbands that was mainly used for summer slacks with rather light cotton waistband linings. Nowadays there are a variety of weights in non-wovens available, both fuseable and non-fuseable; they are widely used in mass production. Recently, I "reverse-engineered" a pair of Max Mara (ladies') trousers that had a perforated non-fused and folded interlining in the waistband. the shell-fabric was a very "liquid"micro polyester, probably of japanese origin.