Been looking for larger shears

Started by Victoria Quinn, February 10, 2021, 12:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victoria Quinn

Quote from: hutch-- on February 27, 2021, 06:03:32 PM
That is one of the NO NOs with old shears, never soak them in anything that attacks rust or you will end up with a mess that looks like a sponge.

Victoria, this is a pair of Wiss 7n that show where the size stamp is.
thanks for the photo.  Its pretty faint under the surface rust, but I think I can make out a 6, or its a Zero.  But I'm betting on 6.

How would you suggest cleaning them up?  0000 steel wool and some motor oil was my first thought.  Then perhaps some Simichrome polish once the heavy stuff is gone.  I've used Simichrome on rusty spoked wheels and its nice because it leaves a bit of oil in the surface you're polishing and keeps rust spots from returning.  I just reapply twice a year on my Sportster wheels and I haven't seen even pinholes of rust return. 

I'm not overly concerned with the chunk missing under the thumb rest, but if one was to want to clean that up, perhaps wrap the blade with a wet towel and use a brass brazing rod to fill the chunk they took out?  Since the handles are generally painted black, and the spot isn't structural; I was thinking just fill it with brass to smooth it back out.  Brass has about the lowest melting point, so I don't think it'd do anything to the rest of the blade on the scissors if you kept them cool.  Or maybe lead it in, like they do in the body shop?
Babydoll... You need some Rock 'n Roll.

hutch--

Do your self a favour and don't try to braze the missing chunk, old malleable iron is very fussy about being heated. A pair of #6n sounds right and they are a nice size to use and easily strong enough for fast precision cutting.

If you have the time to waste, scrape off as much paint as possible with the handles and then polish them by hand with emery cloth or paper. Once you get them clean enough you can paint the handles with anything that is robust. I use 2 pack polyeurethane which works well but it take about a week to set hard enough.

Have a look at this URL on how to use big shears. This is my own pair of 7n shears.

http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/using_shears/index.htm

When you hold them the right way you can set the hinge lock nut at the bare minimum so only the tips tough and they become as smooth as glass. Make sure you grease all of the moving faces in the hinge, easy enough to do with the set screw lock nut.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Victoria Quinn

Quote from: hutch-- on February 28, 2021, 01:52:03 AM
Do your self a favour and don't try to braze the missing chunk, old malleable iron is very fussy about being heated. A pair of #6n sounds right and they are a nice size to use and easily strong enough for fast precision cutting.

If you have the time to waste, scrape off as much paint as possible with the handles and then polish them by hand with emery cloth or paper. Once you get them clean enough you can paint the handles with anything that is robust. I use 2 pack polyeurethane which works well but it take about a week to set hard enough.

Have a look at this URL on how to use big shears. This is my own pair of 7n shears.

http://www.movsd.com/tailors_shears/using_shears/index.htm

When you hold them the right way you can set the hinge lock nut at the bare minimum so only the tips tough and they become as smooth as glass. Make sure you grease all of the moving faces in the hinge, easy enough to do with the set screw lock nut.
1 quick trip to the auto parts shop and I greased them up.  Yeah, these are definitely keepers.... cut as clean as my $60 dressmaker shears.  I might need to replace that set screw, because it was a bit gnarled and I don't want to screw it all the way back in; so they want to loosen up when I open them fully.

hutch--

As long as the thread of the setscrew is not damaged, all you do is carefully file the burs of the head and face of the screw head so it fits back in OK. They would be almost impossible to replace and your only option is to fix it.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Schneiderfrei

I would add that June Rheinhart gives this advice:

Never leave the blades sitting open, and never use the blades without closing them fully in the one motion.  Ie if you do lots of half closing you will wear the blades unevenly.
Schneider sind auch Leute

spookietoo

Victoria, what part of TN are you in? I'm in Knoxville and can tell you where NOT to take them and possibly know someone whose recommendation I would trust- just not sure if they have survived Covid businesswise.

Victoria Quinn

Quote from: spookietoo on March 02, 2021, 09:18:19 PM
Victoria, what part of TN are you in? I'm in Knoxville and can tell you where NOT to take them and possibly know someone whose recommendation I would trust- just not sure if they have survived Covid businesswise.

Clarksville-Fort Campbell.