Too far gone?

Started by Futura, September 22, 2020, 04:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Futura

My husband has recently decided he'd like to join me in sewing pursuits. I bought him a pair of 7n Wiss tailor's shears due to the size of his hands.

They arrived today but sadly appear to have been sharpened by an amateur... It appears a sizeable chunk of the blades has been ground off.

What would you recommend? Return them (they were described as being in "excellent condition") or is there any chance of saving them?

Futura

The photos don't seem to be uploading. Hmmm.

Futura

Still no luck uploading images. Must be time to get some sleep!

hutch--

Futura,

If they are junk, send them back, a pair that has been butchered are not worth owning. Have a hunt around on eBay see what is available if any. The big Wiss and Heinisch shears are getting harder to get, particularly in good condition but you can be lucky accasionally.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Schneiderfrei

Check to see if the images are jpeg. If not you might have to convert them.
Schneider sind auch Leute

Futura

Futura

Futura

Futura

Thanks for your replies. Somehow I was able to upload photos now. The problem may have been with my very slow internet connection through my phone.

hutch--

Futura,

That pair are saveable, there is enough blade left to work properly. When you can still see the inlay line there is plenty of life left in them. They look like a pair made in the 1950s and they are really well made, good hinge design and the steel in the blades is hard enough to last for a long time.

Whoever did this sharpened them like tinsnips where with fabric, the angle needs to be a lot higher, these look to be about 10 or 15 degrees, you can safely set the angle at about 30 degrees and they cut with a lot less effort.

Don't give up on them, if they are sharpened properly and used correctly you should get another 50 years out of them.

Futura

Hutch,

Many thanks for your helpful reply. Apologies for my late reply - a painfully slow internet connection doesn't help!

We have kept the shears and will look into getting them resharpened properly. They will cut cloth as is. Maybe I can send them off to Ernest Wright, as I haven't found anyone trustworthy locally. My husband said if they last another 50 years, that's good enough for him!

hutch--

> a painfully slow internet connection doesn't help!

Been there, done that, fortunately it was a long time ago.

Ernest Wright are a good company, if you send it to the, tell them what happened and that you want the minimum taken off them, they will know what to do.

> My husband said if they last another 50 years, that's good enough for him!

Now don't be without ambition, sharpened properly and looked after they should not only outlast you but will still be around when the great grand kids want to use them for digging the garden or cutting up some polymer that does not exist yet.  ;D