Shirt monogram by hand?

Started by Petruchio, August 08, 2020, 01:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petruchio

For what ever reason I'm planning to at least be able to monogram my shirts by hand if I have the time. I was wondering if anybody know some sort of tutorial for it or has any information on how to approach this task. I don't even know what kind of stitch to use or how to achieve an accurate result, that looks professional enough to put on a shirt.

spookietoo

Monogramming by hand is simply a form of embroidery. There should be numerous tutorials on Youtube. I would practice simple satin stitch floral designs first, until you master stitch spacing and manipulating the threads to lay flat, and to not affect the lay of the fabric (maintaining proper tension).

Then choose what type of font you want to use for your monogram. I would start by practicing larger than what was needed for a shirt, and then decrease the size as you master the stitch control until you can achieve your desired result. Satin stitch and outline stitch should be all you need.

Truth is, hand stitched buttonholes are nothing more than functioning pieces of embroidery. It's all about practice. I've seen hand stitched buttonholes on bespoke shirts that are so wonky - I would personally prefer an average home machine buttonhole instead.

Also, you'll want to use cotton thread and not silk or rayon as the latter will degrade with the temps required for pressing a cotton shirt.

Petruchio

Thanks spookietoo,

to be honest, I wasn't even sure that it is a satin stitch yet, mostly because my previous attempts trying it were so bad, that I couldn't imagine that you are able to make good looking monograms with it. ;)

Also I found this video of 100 hands and it seems to be a different stitching method, but I don't know if this is advisable. (I hope everybody can see the video)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0yvK9_loZ-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Concerning the threads, I tried the DMC Mouline but - maybe due to my inexperience - the result wasn't that good. Are there any recommendations, also concerning the thickness of the thread for shirt monogramming?

peterle

The right material for whitework is  coton á broder wich is non devidable but comes in different thicknesses. https://www.dmc.com/us/p-free-patternsexploring-coton-a-broder.html#null
When you use mouline (6 losely twisted threads), you have to pull one by one and rejoin them to the desired thickness. For small monograms one strand is enough.

For a nice crispy classic monogram you have to mark the letters precisely on the fabric, usually done with a stamp. A nice looking satin stitch needs a bit of praktice.   

Maybe you should consider a stem stitch instead. It makes lighter letters but you can draft the letters with a pencil and you don´t need to fix the fabric in an embroidery hoop:

spookietoo

I think the stem stitch Peterle is speaking of is the same stitch I refer to as an outline stitch and the video is demonstrating what I call an outline stitch.

Over the last few years I have read online discussions that seem to imply that Europeans have access to a DMC floss that is of higher/finer quality than what DMC has readily available here in the states. What we have also comes in six strands. I would expect to use one or two strands for a shirt monogram.

Peterle's suggestion of using a stamp is excellent.  I would purchase a pre-made craft stamp to practice with and then have a custom one made if desired.

If you're only wanting a simple monogram, using an outline stitch,  you may be able to use a drafting template.

I personally prefer to always use a hoop. I find the tension control much simpler. I still believe practicing on something larger - such as a basic flower or large letter/alphabet will be easier to learn the control needed for a quality result.

I remember watching an older lady, possibly Scottish, on a PBS tv station several years ago. If I can locate a video, I'll let you know. Her stitching was impeccable.

Edit: sorry still can't post links from my phone: go to YouTube and enter:  "pieropuliti iniziali". An excellent example of a simple, well executed shirt monogram. Though for the life of me I don't understand the positioning.

Petruchio

Thank for the great advice. I think the stem stich seems to be a good alternative until I'm able to make a decent satin stich. Also the video is fantastic, thanks spookietoo.

Schneiderfrei

Here's my little makers mark.

I hide them on peoples clothing when I make them something.  But, these two images are from the inside of a couple of flat caps.

It's to say they arehand made, naturally, but it's also fun to do.

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

peterle

Schneiderfei, I love your hands-on mentality  ;)

posaune

Me too. It is real etxra. The red (simple but effectfull) more then the black one
lg posaune

Hendrick

Greger

If it is small amount of sewing, then by hand is skill building.