A kind of t-shirt

Started by andrzej61, March 24, 2019, 11:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrzej61

:) Hello. I am a new member here.
    I have a problem. Could someone explain me what is "T-Shirt with Wrap Step Hem". I am not an English nor American. Also many Englishmen don't know what is it.
So please, please, explain me this phrase.   :)

TTailor

Sorry but that description means nothing to me.
It sounds like a bad google translation. The kind where you translate something more than once.

Schneiderfrei

Schneider sind auch Leute

theresa in tucson

Looks like I said the same thing in my answer in the "Intro" section.   I should have read this thread first. :)

Schneiderfrei

Sorry TnT, I equally didn't read the other one. ;p

hutch--

Same answer as in your previous question on the intro page, look it up in Google, there are plenty of results there.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

theresa in tucson

You are right, Hutch, I just went and took a look.  To be completely correct, to this English speaker, the T-shirt has a wrap feature plus a step, or high-low hem.  Some of what I saw on Google had the high-low stepped hem but no wrap and others had both.  Interesting how a description will get picked up and passed around.  The wrap seems to be "in fashion" right now.

Henry Hall

Looks like a load of fashion rubbish to me. Hems like that have been around for ages and I don't know of them ever being called that. Plus the actual hems are just made like any normal hem.

Such twaddle.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

spookietoo

Henry - its all about internet searches - which, of course has little to do with actual knowledge or expertise.

While I can understand wanting to limit a t-shirt search to a "wrap style", the addition of "high/low hem", is twaddle (I LOVE that word BTW!). What will it accomplish? Not much.

I truly pity any man or restaurant server that needs/wants to order a "button down shirt" these days. Entering the correct terminology into any search engine will return any and all shirts that button in the front - not just a true "button down" with a collar that buttons at the points.  The internet has completely destroyed that particular terminology. "Button down" and "Button Front" are interchangeable synonyms.

As much as I enjoy the existence of forums such as this - and cooking information,etc - the internet has created massive amounts of twaddle.

Schneiderfrei

The word Twaddle stands next to Piffle and Twat, in terms of the pinnacle of English expression.

On the other hand I do love Atrocious.

Henry Hall

This has become abysmal and preposterous.

I recently discovered that one of my favourite words: poppycock, comes from Dutch 'pappekak'. You don't want to know what the latter means. :-X
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

spookietoo

II'ved used atrocious for years. Probably even used it to describe my sewing teacher's abilities in highschool. (I quietly taught the class when her back was turned!)

Can't say that I'll use "twat" on this side of the pond. It sounds just like our word, "twot" - which is slang for a certain lower part of the female anatomy. I suspect "pappekak" may involve anatomical references as well -or perhaps boddily functions? - or both?. ;D

But, I'm REALLY likin' "Twaddle".  It's so fun to learn new things on the net! :D