Silk Matka (pre-treating fabric) Jacket

Started by Tikiguayo, May 17, 2020, 09:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikiguayo

Greetings.
I am tailoring a summer coat with silk matka. I would like to pre-treat the fabric before starting this project.

Does anyone have experience working with this material?

I am a junior tailor with only a couple of years of experience making aloha shirts, and brand new to this forum.This will be my 4th coat, my second bespoke. I may only partially line this one, using patch pockets, and finishing all the seams with custom made bias tape. Look forward to sharing photos.

Thank you!
~Max

posaune

Silk matka is nice to work with. If you will pretread this fabric and you wash it (special washing powder, luke warm water and, air tried) the silkworms gum will be gone and it will be soft (lappy) and the shining will dull. If you want to "tailor" your coat it must go to the dry cleaners. And be careful with the sun, because some silks are dyed with natural dye. Don't buy to cheap.
lg
posaune

peterle

The matka silk I was working with was quite sticky on other fabrics and tended to crawl up (as a skirt). So a lining in the upper back and in the sleeves at least would probably be good.

Tikiguayo

Thanks for the tips.
Since this is a summer jacket I guess I will have to deal with what happens by exposure.
I will definitely be dry cleaning this once its done! i bought the fabric from B Black and Sons so I am assuming it is of decent quality.
I hand washed a piece of it to see if the color ran or shrank and was happy with the results: no running and no shrinkage in lukewarm water.

spookietoo

Sorry to be a bit late to this discussion.

A few years back, I lucked out and found 2 pieces of nice Matka for $1 per yard. Brought them home, laid them on the bed and started making supper. Hours later,  went back to admire my good fortune, and the cat had vomited an entire can of food on one piece!

Posaune's recommendation is spot on.

This is the only time in my life that I ever pretreated silk or wool.

I wouldn't spend much time tailoring water washed matka. I made a casual summer jacket with little structure. Tailoring it would be like tailoring a dishrag. Not much point.

Silk matka is easily my very favorite summer fabric. But it goes to the cleaners.

Tikiguayo

Update:
I did not pre-treat the fabric. I did however take an 8x8 piece and tested for shrinkage and color (run).
I've shaped and darted the foreparts. I've also attached the 3 patch pockets.

Quote from: spookietoo on June 07, 2020, 01:46:34 PM
Sorry to be a bit late to this discussion.

A few years back, I lucked out and found 2 pieces of nice Matka for $1 per yard. Brought them home, laid them on the bed and started making supper. Hours later,  went back to admire my good fortune, and the cat had vomited an entire can of food on one piece!

Posaune's recommendation is spot on.

This is the only time in my life that I ever pretreated silk or wool.

I wouldn't spend much time tailoring water washed matka. I made a casual summer jacket with little structure. Tailoring it would be like tailoring a dishrag. Not much point.

Silk matka is easily my very favorite summer fabric. But it goes to the cleaners.