Attaching Jacket Front to Back

Started by supercilious, April 16, 2020, 10:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supercilious

Hi All,
I had a question I have not been able to find in textbooks, google searches etc. I've tried a few different ways as well and was hoping to get the by the book answer

When assembling a jacket with a canvas how do we sew the self fabric front and back together? Is a machine stitch made through both the self fabric and the canvas? Is the canvas trimmed and snuck into the seam allowance? If we use canvas in the back, do you sew through all 4 layers etc.

I have the same question as it applies to attaching the facing, does one sew through facing, jacket front and canvas?

Please link if there are additional topics on assembly order for jackets-- Normally my go to is Classic Tailoring Techniques

Der Zuschneider

You never sew through the canvas. It is not necessary.
Tailoring is the love of doing art at OCD level.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/196434445@N05/albums

peterle

The canvas usually just reaches to the front side seam/dart. It doesn´t reach the back.

Shoulder seam and armhole seam are sewn fabric only. in the armhole the canvas and shoulder pads are lightly fixed with basting stitches ( in SA) after setting in the sleeves.
The front edge of the canvas gets cropped a tad before the sewing line. Then a ribbon is sewn on with invisble stitches, the outer edge at the sewing line the inner edge on the canvas. When you sew the facing, sew the fabric only, next to the ribbon. See pic 12:

I´m pretty sure you will find some construction topics yourself in the construction section of the forum.

supercilious

Thanks for the quick response especially the diagram everyone.

Greger

The shoulder seam of lining is not sewn. At least I don't. That sewn seam can interfere with the fit.