slit in a lapped seam

Started by posaune, March 23, 2020, 01:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

posaune

I'm sewing a night shirt for my husband ( ;)) Because of Coronar free time!
I sewed it like I sew a shirt with lapped seams (Kappnaht : english word: lapped Seam??)
He wish now slits at the side seams for better mobility.
I have sewn me a sample, looks okay, but I am not satisfied.
Anybody a super duper tip?
lg posaune

peterle

Traditionally a "Stockzwickel" would be attached to the end of the seam, also to prevent seam ripping. A Stockzwickel is a little triangle of fabric and inserted to the beginning of the slash.
The initial square of the illustration ("Das Wiener Naehbuch" 1944) has 4-5cm sides.

Schneiderfrei

Die Kappnaht ist "The Fell Seam".
Schneider sind auch Leute

Hendrick

Hi!

A "lapped seam" is a seam where the allowance on one part is folde and flat pressed, then edge stitched directly onto the other part. It ismainly used for extremely heavy materials in utility wear or travel bags and such. Like with leather the seams may be glued together before stitching.

Felled seams... There is a so called "welted seam", where both parts have the same seam allowance. The physical cut should sit in the exact middle between two top stichings. More importantly; both sides are visually the same in appearance. This technique was often used for double  faced or reversible garments...

Then, there is the "running felled" seam or "mock welted", where the parts have different seam allowances. The parts are joined with different seam allowances and the wider allowance is pressed around the narrower. Now the inside is edge stitched, then the outside. Needless to say: bot sides will be slightly different!

Schneiderfrei

Thanks Hendrick,

That will help my list of seams that I have asked for help with. :)

Could you cast your eye over http://movsd.com/BespokeCutter/index.php?topic=896.0

And see if you could find some more appropriate terms?

G
Schneider sind auch Leute