What's wrong with cutter and tailor?

Started by pfaff260, October 28, 2019, 05:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Schneidergott is not 90 even though his Knowledge is vast  ;D we work together and this caused great hilarity in the workshop.

Also he is a moderator on the C&T forum and has not spat his dummy out, this must be down to Sator.

Hopefully he will sort it but if not we are lucky to have this forum.

Schneiderfrei

I am very relieved to hear all you have to say.

And, I hope, equally amused.

It was a great mental exercise to imagine him with such venerable wisdom. :) 

Posaune already pointed this out, also a twitter account (I think) Schneidergott 64 gave the game away.

I would have spat the dummy, all that dreadful spam.

Thank you for your comments Jeff.
Schneider sind auch Leute

Schneiderfrei

I must say I am a bit disappointed I was wrong ;).

I am certain he would be welcomed to contribute to this forum by everyone involved.

This forum was never, at all, intended as a rival to the other, more of a life raft.  I think Hutch would agree.

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

Steelmillal

Hey y'all. The wayback machine has much of C&T captured, but not all, and likewise much that preceded the photobucket fiasco for image clarity. I've been pulling together all the pages I saved to separate isolated drives and was going to mention the forum difficulty to suggest we may want to pool resources and create a legacy file. I even learned something new today from these files and some were copies 3 years ago. Gold dust is too precious to let blow away. Best rgds.

Henry Hall

Hi all. I had visited C&T some months ago and it was okay for me, but now seems to have completely vanished. Not just a 404 or other downtime error, but as if the domain is kaputt.

Sator has been really slapdash with this. He completely failed to give administrator rights to Schneidergott, which would have assisted him in fixing things like the login problems and other things needing admin rights. He's left it down for months before coming to find it down and getting it up whilst the members waited like idiots. If, as appears to be the case, he has lost interest the best thing would have been to at least give that access to someone who hasn't lost interest!

There were other members whose status had changed, who moved over to being professionals, but were left as 'umsies' or generally locked out of the professional fora, so its no wonder posting dwindled. That initial approach, though I understood its intention in keeping things high quality, just constricted the site.

Like Steelmillal I still have a lot of the stuff from there saved up on disks and other computers. What the wayback machine has is most of the best stuff.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Theoretically Grey

May I suggest using archive.org's WayBack Machine? It's not as comfortable as directly using website, but it might help when some information seems not to be anywhere on the internet.

On archive.org website is, above standard search, function to search among "imprints" of the internet's past. Enter cutterandtailor.com and it should offer you choice of dates in the past when forum's image was captured.
I didn't test it thoughtfully, but when I opened it, it worked - for example (The Trouser and Waistcoat forum -> Fitting Trousers; as looked on 23 jul 2017):
https://web.archive.org/web/20170723131135/http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?s=fa4b41a0980ca2495a137553e563d36d&showtopic=403

Theoretically Grey

I am sorry, I apparently read only first page of this topic. Yes, WayBack Machine was already mentioned. Still better than stitch a sleeve backward, I guess...

hutch--

It is unfortunate to see it go but it has been allowed to collapse by neglect. I have to keep track of my programming forum so its easy to keep an eye on what happens here, the usual things that an admin does, sweep the floors, put the trash out and retire spammers so they can make a pest of themselves elsewhere.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

pfaff260

mysewingpleasure

Hutch, I am sending a truck of roses to you, to show you how much we appreciate your contribution and dedication behind the scene. It is heartbreaking to see the old site disappeared, most dreadful thing is this time, it will be gone forever.

(footnote: here in BC, there is a column in my local district paper, "Roses and Rotten Tomatoes", where the people in the local community can send their appreciation or complaints.)

Hutch, if you are my community neighbor, I would post it to this column, so everyone will honor your good deeds too.......

I am serious, with tons of roses.

I read the post you post the other day. I assume it is because you are a bachelor that you can put your whole heart to dedicate to this website. You are a bachelor for a reason!
A sewing mom

Henry Hall

QuoteYou are a bachelor for a reason!

No-one would put up with that collection of giant shears and machines. ;D

A common remark from my ex-wife: "So you've got another machine? What does this one do then?"
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

hutch--

I had a quick look at the whois database and the domain name was renewed in 2019 for 3 years. This is probably an automated renewal but it at least means that no-one can get the domain and use it for another purpose.

> I assume it is because you are a bachelor

Its even worse than that, I waited for a girlfriend until I was 50 years of age who was still running around the world so I gave up, turned into an industrial robot and never looked back. Humour aside, the one thing that you miss is the kids but I live in an old inner city area and have seen generations of kids grow up and have great neighbours.

Henry has the right idea but all of the big snippers live in a small chest of drawers, its the house full of computers, tools, sewing machines and in my workshop down stairs a tiny precision lathe, drill press, linisher, bench grinders and my workbench with a mountain of tools and toys within reach.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

mysewingpleasure

Hutch, most wise men always give advice, something like this,
" If it is yours, it will come your way...."
" Let go, let God..."

When you decide to slow down, you'll see the opportunities around the town...
Well, never be too busy to look around like you look for giant shears and old-fashion-machines...
There are much surprise down the road than in computer....
I never doubt what lies ahead, I am looking forward to getting ready to cope with whatever comes my way.

It is an old dump sewing-mom's advice. Tons of roses to you.
A sewing mom