Pfaff 138 6BS

Started by Schneiderfrei, June 07, 2019, 12:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schneiderfrei

I saw this on ebay. It was a considerable distance from me but it stayed listed for several weeks. I finally realised that it was an artisan industrial, reasonably unique in that it had a few functions rather than a single application. I also helped that the seller spelled the name wrong Phaff and not Pfaff. It was $450.00 AUD

I finally realised that I could not live without owning it. So I drove from Adelaide to Melbourne - about 1700km round trip. Happily I managed to met a friend and drive back together to Adelaide, met another friend who manages a fancy South Australian winery on the way. Brilliant road trip. :)

Currently I am cleaning, oiling and getting to know the machine.

And, yes I did buy a Juki last year too. :D

G

Schneider sind auch Leute

peterle

Congrats, it´s a nice purchase.
I own the same but with 4mm stitch width ( model 138-6/1 BS).
Did it come with a manual and accessories?
As you can see there are two thread tensioning discs. Usually you use the right one. The left one is marked with "K" wich means Knopfloch/buttonhole. It has a stronger spring to sew buttonholes. When you are lucky there is a corresponding bobbin case marked with K or in a darker shade. Both are meant to avoid changing your normal tension settings just for sewing the buttonholes.

The needle is threaded from front to back ;)

Schneiderfrei

Thank you for that background peterle. I certainly wondered what the K stood for.

I got a few accessories. It has 10 bobbins and7 special feet.  The manual comes on line.  Alas, no extra bobbin case. The seller didn't have anything else to go with it.

I know what the B means - its for medium weight.  Do you know what the S means?

Yes, front to back. Well, this seller was much more credible than the previous one.

I did forget to mention, it has been used for 30 years to make hundreds of ballet costumes. Consequently all the cracks are filled with glitter. :)

peterle

No I don´t know what the S stands for. I know that the 6 is for sewing clothing. I also read that the B stands for medium weight fabrics. I also read that the S stands for Stoff/fabric. That would make sense because there were also models for sewing leather.
There were a ton of Pfaff 138 underclasses with different purposes wich differ in the kind of transporter, stiching plates, needleholders or different attachments that came with the machine.
Your machine seems to be a machine that can be used with two needles because your needleholder looks different than mine for a single needle. Take a look with a mirror if there are three holes for needles in your needle holder (left middle and right)

Hendrick

Congrats, it's a great machine! And don't forget to check if it has the binding foot with the slightly longer inlet that can take up thicker fabrics. These go for a small fortune in Europe...

hutch--

Hi Graham,

Looks like a good score and a lot lower price than a plastic fantastic. I was impressed with the size of the motor as well. The only problem I can see is the start of the addiction where each time you see a good machine you add it to the collection.  ;D
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

spookietoo

Congrats on the purchase, sounds like much fun to be had!

As addictions go, this one isn't actually life threatening....so why not! ;)

And everyone NEEDS a good road trip now and again.

Schneiderfrei

Hi Hendrick,

Can you say anymore about what to look for about the binding foot with the slightly longer inlet?

I have the original instruction booklet maybe I can figure out what that is?

G

Hendrick

Hi! These machines were often sold as "shop machines" but also for industrial use. So I guess they went different "accessories kits". When I was much much younger there was a fashion of taping and binding clothing (often heavy double weaves!) with suedine, artificial leather etc. And that is exactly what my dad used these for; especially beautiful with double needle top stiching...  Anyhow, I remember the big conical feeders (I guess almost 4 inches long) that were used for that purpose and specifically on that machine. I may have a photo somewhere.  This was actually the only "heavy"machine I would ever touch because the zigzag function was similar to te 130 I owned, very precise and perfect to bartack jeans with...

Cheers, Hendrick

Schneiderfrei

Hendrick, my machine is the double needle model, but unfortunately I didn't get the holder that you mention.

Is this what you remember?

Hendrick

Yes, but I remember it longer...

Schneiderfrei