I need your opinion and suggestion regarding sharpening shears

Started by mysewingpleasure, May 19, 2019, 05:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mysewingpleasure

Hi, everyone,
Although i know most of you are living in Australia, I think some of you are living in US, north America, and I am living in BC, Canada, I would like to ask you opinion . Today I browse around in Pinterest, I came across a topic of how to use and sharpening pinking shears, a reader recommend a sharpening service available in 2 locations in US. Here are the website :

http://www.simplysharper.com/index.php

I wonder if it is reliable, and if any experience from you dealing with them. They mentioned they were trained in the 14 step Japanese method of shear sharpening
Bonika Shears warranty center, Uses the official Scimech Scissor Flathone recommended by Bonika Shears.

Their price is unbelievably cheap, that makes me doubt, excuse me for saying so, it might not seem to fair to the company, however,  it is extremely important to find a good workmanship rather than a cheap price.

I have a Japanese Kia, 9 inches, which is 2 years old, about an inch from the tip had a minor damage, I think it was damaged while I cut, might be across a pin. When it cuts to that point, it "meshes" the cloth, I need to skip that damaged point to move forward the blades to continue cutting.....it needs repair.

On the other hand, after reading all your conversations about the "antique" shears like Wiss, I got one from a thrift shore last year, i just displayed  it on the fireplace as an antique, (I have been collecting the tiny sewing machines decorations) and  never thought of sharpening and using it, now you stir up my impulse to get it sharpened and use it .....although it is a bit too big and heavy to my tiny and skinny hand. However, I can imagine it makes me "feel" more like a tailor, and look like a professional tailor.... haha, just a little silly joking. I am serious about finding a reliable sharpening service.

Any suggestion and recommendation is greatly appreciated.
A sewing mom

Schneiderfrei

Schneider sind auch Leute

hutch--

Whoever you select to sharpen shears, make sure they sharpen them for cutting fabric and not hair as that is the wrong design. I don't know how bit the old ones you have are but if you can get them sharpened properly, there is a trick to use them without getting tired cutting with them, you basically rest the bottom blade on the cutting table, for small snipping you normally use a smaller set.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

mysewingpleasure

Hutch,
Thank you for your advice, I hesitate because their price.

They mentioned:
"We sharpen and repair all major brands of fabric shears including: Fiskars, Gingher, Mundial, Wiss and others. We also sharpening handmade Japanese fabric shears and pinking shears."
Their price:
Household Scissors, Fabric Scissors,
Pinking Shears, & Industrial Scissors
$7.50 each Scissors or Pinking Shear

Right now is at night, I have just tried to take some pictures to show you, but the flash light gets in the way, I prefer to wait until tomorrow and take pictures until the natural light.

Get back to you tomorrow.

A sewing mom

hutch--

The price sounds OK, if you have a really good pair of shears, especially old ones like Wiss or Heinisch it is worth spending money the sharpen them properly. Something that is really important is to only ever use fabric shears on fabric, not paper or plastic or similar. The fibre size in fabrics is far finer than paper and even if you cannot easily see it, you take the edge off a sharp pair of shears.

Schneiderfrei

Plus they put extra stuff in the paper, fillers, hardeners and such, sometimes made of rock.
Schneider sind auch Leute

mysewingpleasure

I am excited about sharpening the Wiss that I bought from the thrift shore. It is a huge pair of shears, I just loved to add to my collection of tiny sewing machines and some other pairs of tiny scissors, now that I read your conversations, I would love to get my hands on it.

A sewing mom

hutch--

You have done really well with this pair of shears, they are an older pattern Wiss design that are both collectors items and very good shears. They look like a pre WW2 4N model. When you take them to the people who will sharpen them for you, make sure you tell them to take the bare minimum off the blades when sharpening them. This is why its worth paying a bit more to get the job done properly.

Have a look at the web site in my post signature for a few pointers on how to use them. Once you get the swing of using them you will never go back to ordinary scissors. Just make sure that they are only used on fabric as other materials will blunt them and they will not cut as well.

mysewingpleasure

hutch, I have read many times your signature post and the link direct me to the shears museum, where I learned about the brand names  and their historical information of the shears in tailoring industry,

Before join this forum, I am barely a sewing mom, now I am absolutely thrilled to learn more about what exactly tailoring means and how bespoke tailors and tailoring construction works. I am indulged in men's pattern drafting and construction.

I am serious about the sharpening, do you think I can give this company a try?
A sewing mom

hutch--

> I am serious about the sharpening, do you think I can give this company a try?

As long as they will do what you say, minimise how much is taken off the blades, they are a good pair that have not been sharpened to death, if they are looked after your grand kids will inherit them.

mysewingpleasure

Hutch, thank you so much for your patience with me, this little old woman. Let me go for it.

It might take some time for the whole process. I need to email them, get the service form, fill it and go across the border, taking a little advantage of lower postage. .....
I will post any update.

A sewing mom

mysewingpleasure

Hi, everyone,
I come back tonight to update the sharpening of the shears. My son found me a local shore to do the sharpening. It is pretty good, but not as much as I was expecting.
They made a "little" job, as you can see the blade is slightly touched. It cuts well, easily cut crispy with linen. I have a video but I cannot upload video through Postimage!

Pardon me for poor video, I use one hand to hold the camera, one hand holding the shears.

I upload in Youtube :

https://youtu.be/axMqmE-flAo
A sewing mom

mysewingpleasure

When my son took the shears to sharpen, he asked the staff how he can remove the cracked paint of the handles, he sold him a bottle of strong nail polish, he removed most of the paint.

He polished the shorter one than mine. The result is pretty good, but I like mine with cracked paint, unpolished.

A sewing mom

hutch--

Looks like you have got a good result, I watched the video and they seem to cut well. Once you are used to them you will only use the smaller ones as trimmers. Now you know why the old time tailors stuck to their ancient shears, they just work so much better.

mysewingpleasure

Hutch,
I love the shears, it cuts like a charm. I am very happy with it, it will become my favorite "toy" - seriously, my treasure in my sewing room.
A sewing mom