Today's Plundering

Started by Schneiderfrei, May 03, 2019, 01:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schneiderfrei

Hi Hutch,

I had to drive 45 minutes to pick theres up today. Luckily I could find the time.

The 'bones' are good. Just a bit of rust and grime.  The edge is still shiny.

Havn't had a chance to reveal the signage yet. Its certainly Wiss though and its 13".

G

Schneider sind auch Leute

JM MacLachlan

Hope they clean up nicely

Schneiderfrei

I am certain they will. I'll post the upgraded photos then.

G

Greger

Both blade lengths added together is the real length, providing they are the same.
Handle lengths don't count, since they don't cut.

JM MacLachlan

That's actually incorrect. Shears are actually measured from tips diagonally to the back of the thumb bow. Cut length is factored a little less than the blades actual cutting surface.

hutch--

Graham,

Rough guess is they are a pair of Wiss shears made in the 1950s from the hinge nuts. Clean them up and sharpen them properly and they should work really well.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Schneiderfrei

I have wanted this model for years! :)

mysewingpleasure

it must be very precious pair of shears, it makes you all excited. Would it be priced as it is an antique or a collectible, I am curious when I saw a member mentioned he found a pair of shear from ebay, and it was priced about a hundred dollars. what would it be when it was brand new ? Do you need a professional person to do the sharpening?
A sewing mom

Schneiderfrei

mysewingpleasure

Woow, I went to link, and explore all the cutting tools. The gold one is a golden dream!

I am interested in how the curved threadclips works. its description is that "Designed to hang from your third finger as you sew, these thread snips leave the rest of your hand free to manage the needle and thread."

The other one is the buttonhole scissors, why there are a square notches in each blade and how does the adjustable screw function? I went to youtube and found one, by Kenneth, unfortunately, he did not show how it works.
A sewing mom

peterle

The ring clippers are indeed very handy. You keep them in your palm when sewing so you don´t have to grab a sisscor every time. I always use it  when sewing buttons to shirts or sewing in the thread ends. Speeds up the process significantely.

The buttonhole scissors are also quite handy. With the screw you can determin the length of the buttonhole to be cut, so when you do several buttonholes, all will have the same length. The corners of the blades enable you to cut the hole in the middle of the cloth. You place the corners at one end of the buttonhole so the fabric between buttonhole and edge rests in the cut out area of the scissors, so it won´t be cut.

mysewingpleasure

Peterle,  I would really like to own a pair of the buttonhole scissors. however, after reading your explanation, I still cannot catch your meaning, I cannot imagine and figure out how the corners do the cutting. it is an alien from another planet (if there actually is one) to me.
A sewing mom

Futura

Nice Wiss shears! :)

That reminds me - I have a nice old pair of buttonhole scissors sitting in one of my workbench drawers. I completely forgot about them.

Do the smaller dressmaker's shears ever have large bolts? I have a pair of "big bolt" dressmaker's shears made by Singer in West Germany. I had Ernest Wright refurbish them a while back, as they fit my hand beautifully. They're now such a joy to use but I've never seen another pair like them. (My hands are too small to handle larger shears!)

mysewingpleasure

Sadly, I do not know how to use them, I think it will be a great help if you need to make a lot of buttonholes. 
A sewing mom

Schneiderfrei

I have an old pair, but I am much happier with a chisel, hammer and punch.