Professional development?

Started by Futura, April 08, 2019, 01:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Futura

(This might be an odd question, so please bear with me! ;D )

Where would an aspiring individual source willing people to use for practice drafting and fitting garments on? I would eventually like to make bespoke women's casual clothing, but I know I need much more experience fitting other bodies, amongst further practice.

I moved about a year ago, and now I don't really know anyone in the area aside from a few family members. (I'm also terrible at socializing!) How do professionals gain experience with this independently, outside of any formal training or apprenticeships? Should there be any compensation involved for the cost of time and materials? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)

supercilious

Although I am no professional, I've found that young women really love to be involved with people aspiring to make clothes. I'm not the greatest looking guy in the world either haha.
I would say as long as your earnest and even just meet a handful of people you're already in luck, McQueen used to make clothes for his aunts. As I'm learning too, I normally have no problems giving away clothes in order to keep working with people...

Also, part of me thinks that half of learning to become a good clothes maker involves understanding people and realizing that what matters isn't the clothes, but the people who wear them...

posaune

There are neigbohrs, family members and friends of family members, shop keepers, rural journals, just let it known.  As Testpersons I wouldn't charge them anything. Because fitting could get quickly real boring and tireing if you are not interested in that stuff. 
Maybe in some of the internet sewing community you'll find persons near you  - who are willing to do this and in the process they learn too. So giving and taking.
lg
posaune

Dunc

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to pay the cost of materials, and maybe a small amount for labour, if they're getting something that they actually want. Fabric can be expensive, after all.

Once you let it be known that you are interested in making for other people, you might be surprised how much interest you get.

Schneiderfrei

For free sample, I find I must like the person :) quite a lot.

On the other hand, I find I can like many people.

Also, I understand that I am not the very best. But, then someone is quite impressed and so you go.

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

mysewingpleasure

Futura, would it be helpful if your library is a source of posting notes? Like some people that look for places to rent, some parents need local caretakers.... or hospital, community centre.

With this appoach, You do not need to be socialize yourself to get connect with some strangers - mom taught me not to talk to strangers - as far as we raised up with this theory.... With a brief note you indicate your purpose and basic requirement, I think some ladies in the nearby area will love to get involved in fashion, sewing.

Some shore like 7eleven, they have a board for posting too, they love to get people coming in and out their shores.

I have a local neigbour committee facebook group, everyone is posting everything happening around the town everyday, a cat is lost, an old car for sell, free set of old wooden furniture...

I am pretty sure you can get connected in many ways,  very soon ..... haha, may be more than you want .... maybe you find customers soon, another source of income.

I wish I live close to you, I will have so much fun! By the way, where in the world you live? I am living in BC, Canada. The world is getting smaller with internet, we can make friends across the oceans and skies. That is a very exciting.

A sewing mom