Creating a body padding

Started by TTailor, March 17, 2019, 12:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTailor

I am starting the process of making a body padding for a character.
I made one about three years ago, incidentally for the same actor, and it was something I wasn't expecting to land in my workload. It was given to me at the last minute, so I didnt document it fully then.
Now I wish i had.
The good thing is that I have access to the old body padding for reference.
The bad thing is getting a late start on it (things beyond my control)

Step number one
Make a stretch power net body suit to fit the actor. Look for power net in our supply room. Get white power net dyed to a flesh tone.
Figure out the stretch factor of the power net and make a pattern.

My pattern consists of a bodice, sleeves and shorts. I cut the bodice with a "princess" seams (my front bodice pattern was modified after the picture was taken) The back of the shorts has a seam over the centre of the buttock, side seams as well as a regular cf/ cb seam. This gives me a multitude of options for fitting.
Possible issues? I dont have up to date measurements for the actor, and he wont be available to remeasure until rehearsals start in six weeks. I don't know if the memory foam we used for the padding last time was unbearable to wear, so I have to wait on that.

I am working on the photo embedding from Flickr ........standby!

TTailor

Schneiderfrei

Great post, thank you Terri.

I look forward to observing your progress.

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

Zanzare

Good project.

Out of interest: with what kind of machine are you sewing the power net?

pfaff260

TTailor

We put together the bodysuit with a zig machine for the fitting.
I left fairly ample seam allowances because I didnt have up to date measurments of the actor.
Once he arrived and was remeasured, he had gone up a full size, so I was happy to have the ability to let it out.

After the fitting, we took it apart, I marked all the alterations, and it was put together with a four thread serge on a domestic serger. The seam allowances were then stitched down with a multi stitch zig.
The zip goes in with a straight stitch.

I will take a photo of it tomorrow for you.
Its ready for the next step.

Zanzare

Cool, thanks.

I mainly use powernet for bustflatteners and therefore the zig zag is sufficient.

I've been working in the past in places with special industrial equipment for stretchy seams were we made a lot more costumes with all kinds of elastics and sometimes I miss them.... especially when it comes to hemming those elastics.... maybe I need to investigate in the domestic overlockers a bit more as sometimes that would be very handy.

Anyway, looking forward to see your boddypadding evolve!

Henry Hall

I've never even heard of 'powernet'. I am so behind the times.

Maybe I should investigate.  I might need it for 'support' in later years.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

theresa in tucson

Henry, powernet in different weights is used in girdles, bras and other shapewear.  It's also used a lot in things like compression socks, knee and ankle braces.

Henry Hall

Oh right. I know compression socks and support tubing. I'd never heard the name powernet though.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

TTailor

This is on a stand that I had to pad out with a layer of 1/2" foam to get it to be the size of the actor.

This time we reinforced the underarm area with a double layer of the net. This is on the body as well as the sleeve.

Neckline finish

posaune

neat necklinie finish! The pin in the front neck give me the creeps! Does he sing ?
lg
posaune

TTailor

Schneiderfrei

Schneider sind auch Leute

Zanzare