Die Gewand-Sammlung construction book

Started by Henry Hall, February 18, 2019, 08:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Hall

There are a couple of videos on here (somewhere) from this website concerning quality construction of trousers and waistcoats, but now I see a book has been released. Band 1 - Verarbeitung von hemd, hose und vest.

I haven't been able to look inside it, but at €47 for the softcover edition, and for those who read German, it is likely better than a lot of the books out there with ridiculously high prices.

'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Hendrick

Thanks Henry and, of course, looks very reasonably priced, and I want it of course...

Schneiderfrei

Schneider sind auch Leute

Dunc

Sadly, I haven't read German since high school... Maybe I should brush up? Certainly sounds interesting...

posaune

Schneiderfrei

One of the best things is the glossary of stitches with their German names.

I have had a lot of trouble finding these in the past, even with the Schierbaum - Bekleidungs Lexikon.

G

Henry Hall

I just briefly looked at the excerpt. It seems like a no-nonsense guide. Plus this guy is the real deal. I'm considering purchasing it.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Hendrick

Real indeed, I am going to get it!  It looks nicely sequenced and clear and the handdrawings make it -if only seemingly- look easier! I also like how he shows the dressage.

Cheers, Hendrick

jeffrey

I bought this book from them when they released it about 2years ago. It is a good basic drafting book with a system similar to M&S but somehow easier to maneuver. I have gotten some very good patterns from it and I am sure this next book is good too. They have or had some very good videos on youtube. Some dealing with drafting and some with sewing/construction.

https://www.die-gewand-sammlung.at/produkt/die-herrenschneiderei/

Ahmed

I emailed them about the possibility of releasing an English version in the future but sadly got no response. Would have purchased one in an instant.

Henry Hall

I doubt it will be released in English, but you never know. I managed to get a look at one of the Mueller & Sohn books in English (they're only pdf not paper; the latter is reserved for the original editions). The translations are shoddy. Whoever wrote the English text has no idea how to write readable English. The German is much clearer.

Schneiderfrei

Henry Hall, are you sure you aren't reading the ones I did??

;p

posaune

Oh Oh. I think you did excellent,  Schneiderfrei.
I have finished a manual that a professional translator had begun. He started and did maybe 1/3. Then he gave back the manuscript. He could not translate the stuff  because he did know next to nothing what the text (Pattern drafting) was talking about. I had to do it almost from scratch.
Mr. Jungclaus is runing a Atelier (tailor shop) and I'm very glad he found the time to write.  He print it on demand - no big publisher behind him. So translation is not in my opinion no option there is not enough money in it
lg
posaune

Schneiderfrei

Before working on the tailoring writing I spent several years translating antique medical science articles.  They were a wonder and have formed a solid basis for the work I do now in Physiotherapy. I knew there was no money in it then.  It can only be a labour of love.

Henry Hall

I also think you do a fine job Schneiderfrei. Translating can be a chore.