Knee width affecting crotch width

Started by Futura, February 06, 2019, 09:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Futura

After playing around with numerous drafts and reinventing the wheel, I stumbled across this thread about how knee width directly influences crotch width on the Cutter and Tailor forum:

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3587

I find this most fascinating! Are there any other sources of information on this, especially for women's trousers? None of my English language texts mention anything about this.

Adriel

Quote from: Futura on February 06, 2019, 09:36:15 AM
After playing around with numerous drafts and reinventing the wheel, I stumbled across this thread about how knee width directly influences crotch width on the Cutter and Tailor forum:

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3587

I find this most fascinating! Are there any other sources of information on this, especially for women's trousers? None of my English language texts mention anything about this.

Too bad Cutter and Tailor no longer allows new members so the site can be searched. I have emailed four or five times asking them to update the captcha and no response.

Thank you for sharing, interesting. Does make since, though would think it would have its limit.

I am new, though can say I made two muslins to try an idea out and experience myself, would suggest if curious enough.

posaune

Futura, in this aspect of Knee width and crotch width woman and man's trouser behave the same way. In general  woman have in my opinion more difficulties with the crotch and they like to wear the pants tight. And as tighter the pants as more complicated it gets.
lg
posaune

Futura

Quote from: Adriel on February 09, 2019, 02:54:52 PMToo bad Cutter and Tailor no longer allows new members so the site can be searched. I have emailed four or five times asking them to update the captcha and no response.

Thank you for sharing, interesting. Does make since, though would think it would have its limit.

I am new, though can say I made two muslins to try an idea out and experience myself, would suggest if curious enough.

I didn't know that the Cutter and Tailor forum wasn't adding new members.  :( But I usually end up browsing through as I forget to log in!  ;D

I have a small mountain of trial garments slowly growing. Sometimes I end up using Pellon instead of muslin for the really experimental attempts... it saves time as it doesn't need ironing before cutting.

Futura

Quote from: posaune on February 09, 2019, 11:08:04 PM
Futura, in this aspect of Knee width and crotch width woman and man's trouser behave the same way. In general  woman have in my opinion more difficulties with the crotch and they like to wear the pants tight. And as tighter the pants as more complicated it gets.
lg
posaune

Thank you for information! Much appreciated, as always.  :)

Many of my pattern books (for dressmaking, both home and industry use) go into great detail about how trouser leg widths can be modified on a basic flat pattern to generate styles ranging wildly from tight jeans to palazzo pants. They make no mention of how these leg changes will affect the crotch! Nor do they ever mention that the crotch seam intersection needs to be trued, with some of the illustrations being incorrect.

Hendrick

Hi,
Women's trousers are infinetely more complicated than men's. When developing women's pants, I like to start from the silhouette, drape and mold of the pant, but not after deciding on material. Nearly all nonstretch materials are fairly easy. Secondly, I decide the position of the waist. From there I decide the shape of basin. So, really, the material is everything, especially with strech qualities. Basically, other than having a crotch, in- and outseams, the pattern of a stretch pant has virtually nothing to do with that of a non stretch trouser. Just as a small sidenote; when Ibfirst started fitting women's jeans in the late seventies every fitting model was able to hold a sheet of paper between her knees when her feet were put together. In contrast, these days, most models have a hard time doing the same with a pingpong ball. Just to illustrate in what ways women's bodies have changed...

Cheers, Hendrick