A vintage kitchen apron draft?

Started by Henry Hall, December 28, 2018, 09:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Hall

Here's the thing. I have a friend who is a bit vintage and she had a marvellous kitchen apron - more like a pinny (or 'schort' in Dutch - from maybe the '50s or the '60s. I say 'had' because the thing has gone missing and she really loved it. So my plan is to replace it in time for her birthday in late January  :)

Has anyone got an interesting draft/pattern? Anything from the 1920s to maybe the 1970s is worth looking at.

Thankyou.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Schneiderfrei

Henry, there are so many styles of apron.  Can you give a bit more detail?
Schneider sind auch Leute

Henry Hall

There really are! I've been looking at hundreds of them on Pinterest. I think I can devise a simple model which I can elaborate. 
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

pfaff260

Is this what you are looking for? I should have a pattern somewhere.

Schneiderfrei

I particularly like the Japanese ones that cross over at the back requiring no buttons, knots or such.

Henry Hall

Quote from: pfaff260 on December 28, 2018, 05:55:11 PM
Is this what you are looking for? I should have a pattern somewhere.

That would work very well.

Henry Hall

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on December 28, 2018, 08:01:33 PM
I particularly like the Japanese ones that cross over at the back requiring no buttons, knots or such.

I didn't know that style is Japanese. In the last photo it looks like a maternity dress. I don't want to get slapped!

Theoretically Grey

I would try searching on archive.org (especially their "text content" search). It contains lot of books on "home sewing" - therefore lot of aprons, but frequently of a low quality. One book that stands apart, although not exactly book of patterns, is https://archive.org/details/apronscaps00woma. I think it could be a nice source for inspiration.

Henry Hall

That's a rather good book; nice line drawings. I went through about two dozen books last night on the archive until I was boggle-eyed and went to bed.

pfaff260

Here's one from the Amoda boek. A system based on the Amsterdam MODeAcademie.
When making this draft: it says 1/2 hip measurement, this should be 1/2 hip minus 5 to 8 cm. There should be some space
between left and right on the back for some adjustment.

pfaff260

This one is from ,,de Dameswereld" december 1955. This one is more compleet.

pfaff260

And this the type of apron my mother used in the 60's

It's not what you where looking for, but i wanted to make it complete.

spookietoo

With the resurgence of home sewing as a past time, all of the major pattern companies have a myriad of apron patterns available. Whether you need to buy a pattern or not, the styles are interesting. Simplicity, Butterick, McCalls and even Vogue - all offer retro apron styles. I especially like the one and only offering in Vogue. ( you have to open the window for each pattern to see the line drawings and artist renderings to really see the designs.)

One of them even has a pattern that would have looked at home on the Downton Abbey set! (I'm guessing your friend isn't wanting to go quite that retro!)

Schneiderfrei

Brilliant Pfaff260,

Right from the pinnacle of household chic.

Schneiderfrei

Is she going to throw that plate at the lazy husband??