Robe-Banyan

Started by Henry Hall, November 14, 2018, 10:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Hall

Can anyone point to a draft for a robe/dressing gown more like those in use during the 18th/19th centuries? The ones I mean are those that are more fitted and incorporate a waist-seam. Such garments were based on the banyan. Here's a picture of one of those:

In the film Kind Hearts and Coronets (1947) Denis Price wears a similar garment, but with ridiculous peak lapels.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

peterle

It´s a more modern pattern, but I´m sure you can adapt it for a robe:

http://movsd.com/BespokeCutter/index.php?topic=170.0

Your yellow example is obviousely a pattern from at least 1850 ore even earlier. I´m sure it will have a very crooked front shoulder, a shoulder seam shifted to the back and slimmer curvier sleeves than the modern pattern.

Maybe Jruley has an historical pattern?

Schneiderfrei

Schneider sind auch Leute

Henry Hall

Thanks gents. It seems I need to think about historical drafts. The link to the priest cassock is excellent, but difficult to read.

Btw, I ran into a firefox (and chrome) extension which overrides Photobucket's severed links for embedded photos and also allows you to download the images. If you try to download them now they don't show up in the image viewer; not mine anyway.

Chrome version
Firefox version

'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

TTailor

TTailor

Sorry for the delay, this is from the Cut of Men's Clothes.

TTailor

I don't think I have seen any patterns with a waist seam.

TTailor

From a book called "The Magnificence of the Tsars" if i recall correctly.

Thom Bennett

From reading my old books the instruction is to make form the Chesterfield basic pattern, if you want one with a waist seem how about using a frock coat pattern and changing the style lines. They then just go on about how dressing gowns were to be made up.  It's really all about the style lines and whether you wish to add drape, the amount of ease and flare required, so one could create a robe from a fitted lounge coat pattern, even shirt as the major fitting points are all there.
"Tailored with Love and Passion"

Social Media search for Thom Bennett Tailoring

thetailor.thom-bennett.co.uk

Thom Bennett Bespoke Ltd "Reassuringly Expensive"

Henry Hall

That red banyan up there is spectacular.

Yes Tom, I thought about a frock coat adaptation.