Balancing pants patterns

Started by Futura, August 31, 2018, 11:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Futura

I stumbled across this image of balancing a pants draft the other day:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71BpzZ3j2TL.jpg

I feel I am misunderstanding something? None of my patterns have such parallel side seams when placed like that.

Schneiderfrei

In addition, it appears to lack any kind of correct fork.
Schneider sind auch Leute

Futura

There seems to be a distinct movement in American pattern cutting schools of thought, not even necessarily aimed at the home user, obsessed with imposing artificial symmetry and simplistic geometric shapes onto patterns...

Futura

It's a little unnerving to see those methods being propagated...!

(I do not want to think of the fit. ???)

Greger

hutch--

Fads come and go, function persists forever. As is often the case that the young are taught nonsense, keep and eye on older patterns for the function and do whatever you need in terms of modernisation by your own criteria.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

TTailor

Quote from: Futura on August 31, 2018, 11:03:04 AM
I stumbled across this image of balancing a pants draft the other day:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71BpzZ3j2TL.jpg

I feel I am misunderstanding something? None of my patterns have such parallel side seams when placed like that.

This whole " balanced pattern " misinformation makes me crazy!
Ther's a woman on the patternreview website who really pushes this type of information, whether it is for trousers, or bodices or armholes or "forward shoulders".....
She seems to be pretty persuasive as many othe members blindly follow her "advice"
Ugh.

Futura

Quote from: TTailor on September 01, 2018, 11:12:12 AMThis whole " balanced pattern " misinformation makes me crazy!
Ther's a woman on the patternreview website who really pushes this type of information, whether it is for trousers, or bodices or armholes or "forward shoulders".....
She seems to be pretty persuasive as many othe members blindly follow her "advice"
Ugh.

Yes! That is exactly where I saw this image originally posted, probably by the very same individual you mention. It's disappointing to see others falling for such erroneous information. No offense meant to anyone, but the image and advice in question alternates between giving me waking nightmares and inducing uncontrollable laughter...!

Futura

Quote from: Greger on August 31, 2018, 03:19:04 PM
I wouldn't go by that advice.

I couldn't agree more!

Quote from: hutch-- on September 01, 2018, 10:11:18 AM
Fads come and go, function persists forever. As is often the case that the young are taught nonsense, keep and eye on older patterns for the function and do whatever you need in terms of modernisation by your own criteria.

Very well said.

It makes me have a little more faith in myself knowing at least I know where to source correct information and that I can detect such nonsense, even if I can't always execute things as well as I'd like.

hutch--

I think the "design" information you are referring to would be better described as  the "Sack of spuds look". I am not a fashionista and more a pragmatic slob but I have seen some of the most appalling junk peddled as clothing and often at rediculous prices as well. I have a friend that I occasionally have a coffee with who stopped making her own stuff and buys clothing on the internet and some of it is truly awful.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Greger

She must have made lousy clothes if store bought is better.

spookietoo

I've given up on home sewing sites. Eventually the "mean girls" take over and heaven forbid anyone disagree with/correct one of the "worshipped" members.

Plus - Greger - there's the added amazement of how many are paying $12- $15 /yd to make the same ill-fitting assymetrical polyester schlock available OTR for $15.99 finished! Just baffles me.....

Greger

They probably enjoy making stuff.
And no tailor around to answer questions.

Schneiderfrei

I was thinking, maybe this draft would work with very stretchy cloth?
Schneider sind auch Leute

Greger

Want to wear tights?
If I did that I'd fill the morgue.
People, with one look, would die laughing.