Tombennett off to Ireland

Started by Henry Hall, July 30, 2016, 08:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Hall

Looks excellent. A bit of honesty with Rory and you students not dressed up to the nines while working (that's just for the youtube videos and the BBC documentaries).
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Schneiderfrei

It looks good to me.

BTW I did just peek a touch of lining showing at Mr Duffy's side seam, tell me a student made it for him ;p
Schneider sind auch Leute

Thom Bennett

Do you know, I hadn't noticed that Graham!  I think it maybe something old, not sure he actually made this one. :)  I wear my nice trousers once a week Henry, they were fairly impressed with the brown pair I made last.  Today we have been learning how to develop the trousers block for a forward pleat, I like the way Rory drafts as there is no need for slashing patterns to create modifications.
"Tailored with Love and Passion"

Social Media search for Thom Bennett Tailoring

thetailor.thom-bennett.co.uk

Thom Bennett Bespoke Ltd "Reassuringly Expensive"

Greger

Not a believer in slashing patterns to create modifications, either. There are better ways.

Some of his photos it seems like he would make a great pirate in some of these movies. If he pursued that on the side he might end up with some famous actors as customers.

Thom Bennett

I think Rory has many famous clients Greger :)  Here are some latest pictures of me using a proper heavy iron.  We have just finished making our first toile, a pair of trousers for Master Rory.  Ironwork is a vital part of fitting a garment, Rory wants us to understand all procedures in making up so we can fully comprehend what we are doing in drafting and cutting.

Emma and Marian, my cohorts making up their trouser toile.

More to follow when I have some time.

posaune

nice pics. Thank you.
Oh and he uses plain household machines?
lg
posaune

hutch--

Great photos Tom, shows just how professional Rory's teaching methods are.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Thom Bennett

Yes that's right posaune, we only put together calico toiles so no need for industrials; also easier on space. This was my toile and I was showing Emma and Marian how to do a bit of shrinking.  Thanks for the comments, revising trouser fitting notes tonight. Waistcoats tomorrow!  ???

peterle

I find it interesting that the iron work is done with closed seams.

Thom Bennett

I found it interesting too peterle. I am still going to carry on the way you all caught me to do it, as I feel the shape stays better.

posaune

Well, this is funny. I had not recognized it. I do this when I fresh up my trousers to get rid of the knees and to get some shape again in.  But the fundamental shaping is done at the open seams. I remember that you had to do it on the wrong side (fear of shining) and after finishing to re- iron the crease in. Nasty business. Thanks there are teflon soles now.
lg
posaune

Schneiderfrei

Wow, thank so much for showing this Tom.
Schneider sind auch Leute

Henry Hall

In Poulin's book the ironwork (such as it is) is shown done on the closed seams.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Greger

Hostek shows shaping at the end of the book when trousers are finished.

PoHappiness

Hello Tom,

How are you? This thread hasn't heard of any updates of late.
Just wondering how long does this course take overall?

Thanks,