Our Changes - Significant Diagonal Folds on the Back

Started by Schneiderfrei, September 03, 2017, 06:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schneiderfrei

For Spookietoo,

Schneider sind auch Leute

spookietoo

Vielen dank, Mein Herr!

I'm actually finding the translations fun (like working crossword puzzles for a reason!) And the information is priceless.

I had correctly identified the issues, but the solutions are not as clumsy as my own of course.

Thanks, again!

Schneiderfrei

That is very coincidental.  I have certainly compared my interest in translating to a better alternative to cryptic crosswords, that gives you something profitable at the end.  Of course the full reasons that I like it so much at considerably deeper than that.

I am very glad to make it available.  You can still get the new book from Mueller.  It has quite a few and more on women's issues. Not all though.  In the Wir Aendern book, the older version, there is even a page on fitting Keilhosen.

spookietoo

Okay, so I've no idea what keilhosen are.

I got my first really good giggle from the translator: "Wedge pants."

I have avoided those like the plague thruout my lifetime! ;D

Is this the name for the stirrup pants in the other discussion? (I've avoided those also - not a good look on me at any size.) So I've only skimmed that discussion.

Schneiderfrei

Ha :)

They were a variation on ski pants in the 30's.  A better translation would be Gusset pants but the gusset is at the ankle.

Yes a kind of stirrup trouser.

peterle

I think it´s called Keilhosen because they´re wider at the hips and very tight at the ankles to fit into the skiing boots. Usually also the front and back center fold were topstitched thus the trousers look like a wedge when seen from the side.

Schneiderfrei

That's very interesting peterle.  I avoided getting too much into the realm of WWII when the mountain troupes wore them.  I have seen examples for sale that may or may not have been very close copies.  They look good. I want to make some up as a challenge.

peterle

These skiing pants date from the later fifties and sixties and were made from an elastic material (at least here in Austria).
WWII skiing pants have been wool mostly and cut much wider.

Schneiderfrei

peterle

Well, I think ski apparel is not a wide buisness field in your area, is it?

Schneiderfrei

Greger

You could try them water skiing. Try some cloth with flotation bubbles added. Don't punch too many holes in them when sewing and pin fitting. 😏 OH, yes. Instead of a hot tub you'll need a cool tub. It is kinda hot down under isn't it?

hutch--

Don't laugh, the bottom of OZ gets pounded from the Great Southern Ocean over winter time which produces the snow conditions in NSW, Victoria and Tassie. I had a mate who used to crew maxi racing boats of over 100 feet long and he showed us photos of waves higher than the top of the mast when bringing a maxi from Perth to Sydney. People who go out in the snowfields unprepared often die of hypothermia. You guys in the northern hemisphere are luck that you get crisp dry cold where it is common here for the cold to be damp and go through your bones.

I learnt the lessons riding motorbikes in winter about hypothermia.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Schneiderfrei

Yeah, we are not prepared for the cold here.  It really is hot for most of the year.  That said, over most of the country you could live every day in shorts and t-shirt with thongs. ;p

Greger

Here in the northwest it doesn't get really hot nor cold. At 40 degrees it can be bone chilling. People from the prairies say it feels like 20 below. Sometimes when it snows at 32 degrees it actually feels warmer.

Read about large waves in the south. The shore line must be rather interesting to see.

This one person went around the world filming snow skiing, including NZ and Australia. Then he traveled around the US showing it to enthused skiers, of which I was one.

Some day I'd like to visit those two fine countries down there.