Books, the unusual ones

Started by TTailor, August 15, 2017, 08:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTailor

I know that many theatrical cutters and tailors collect books. Books on modern drafting, books on historical drafting, historical reference, painting and photography and yhe like.

I am more towards the end of my career than at the beginning, and recently I have not found many books worth purchasing for work. Many have the same images, paintings and the like.
On occasion though I run across a toipc I have little reference for and that may by interesting or unusual.

My most recent purchase of a book like this is : Sinews of Survival, the living legacy of Inuit clothing by Betty Kobayashi Issenman.

I have not had much time to really read it in depth yet, but it is a fascinating and seemingly thorough look at Inuit clothing by region; the history, practical and social meanings behind the garments. It has many detailed line drawings of how the garments are pieced and also the pattern making sewing techniques used to produce the typical Inuit clothing before man made fibres and textiles took over from sealskin and caribou.
It has many fine vintage photographs of people wearing the garments and pictures of a variety of garments as well.
There are a few that are quite mind blowing including a seal skin combination suit that is put on via a circular opening mid chest that close with a drawstring. It supposedly also functioned as a life preserver in case of an accident in the water.
When I get a moment I will scan that page and load it here. It is quite amazing.

My work books are on library thing in case anyone wants to browse my modest collection, or look at some other people's libraries.
Ttailor on librarything.

Schneiderfrei

Thank you terri,  I never knew about this site.  Thanks for sharing.
Schneider sind auch Leute

TTailor

Here is the combination suit with mid chest opening.

Schneiderfrei

Schneider sind auch Leute

theresa in tucson

Wow, that is some book.  I do not remember the book but do remember seeing a photograph of a anorak or similar make of seal's intestine.  It may have been a Taunton book or one of D.P. Coffin's.  Just for fun, it would be nice to have the book you referenced in one's library.

TTailor

I believe the watersuit pictured was made of specially prepared and dehaired sealskin.

Yes, gut skin parkas  (kamleika) were made as well.
Made of whale or seal intestine, sometimes using a freeze dry tanning technique called winter or cold tanning. Sewn with sinew, they are strips of intestine sewn together with sinew, and translucent. You can imagine that they indeed would be like a raincoat.

It is supposedly a garment that is not made any longer as far as the book says.

I think reading about the adaptation of clothing to the environment is both an eye opener and speaks to how far removed we are from having to have clothing that is essential for survival.

I am looking forward to reading it more thoroughly, it was a good find.