why is the page so silent?

Started by posaune, August 13, 2017, 09:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schneiderfrei

What was your model from Australia??

I also fear making a fool out of myself and certainly have done so.  I for one won't fret to see others do the same :P

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

Greger

Don't we all. Sometimes I wonder why I write anything.

Futura

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on August 16, 2017, 10:06:52 AM
What was your model from Australia??

It's a Singer "Futura Electronic 2002" from 1979... looks sort of like a hybrid between a 1975 Athena 2000A and a 1976 Futura 1000G, the world's first electronic sewing machines. I lose count of how many I have! They are fun to play with and do make a decent stitch. :)

Maybe I will chime in more often - foolishness and all. ;)

posaune

Thanks for the draft from Andermahr, Pfaff260. You seem to have quite a collection of old drafts even my beloved Lenassi, happy you. Peterle,  sorry, I have not much experience with body builders. In the ladies department I have often difficulties fitting ladies with breast implantates - it may be the aequivalent. 
But back to the sleeve.
I'll start another thread for the sleeve draft.
lg
posaune

Schneiderfrei

Thanks futura, What is it about the early singer electrics that you like?

I myself, like the singer mechanicals from the 50's, tank like and all metal, perfectly regular stitching.

G

Greger

Mom bought a electronic one and one or two computers home sewing machines. They were dreadfully awful. It seems like they had to stop and think sometimes several times per stitch. The mechanical machines are are great. Industrials are so much faster. Get up to speed on them and your not wasting time.

Of course, handsewing is a whole nother ball park.

Futura

I originally bought my first Futura 1000G as I loved the design. I never really liked the curved shapes on some older sewing machines, which seems silly considering how sturdy they are...

That being said, I'm really quite pleased with how it handles. It stitches well and doesn't produce wobbly straight stitches like some domestic zigzag machines do, and it has a nice feel to it with good speed control. I've actually had an easier time with it than some older all-metal machines.

One expensive computerized machine I tried would decide to continuously sew everything in reverse (the controls must have been damaged). Not a fun experience! I find modern domestic sewing machines dreadfully unappealing - I have no interest in doing any quilting. I suppose the 1970's was the last decade when home dressmaking was still widespread, and the machines were still (for the most part) intended for apparel.

hutch--

There are a few true mechanical machines that can be bought, Singer does one and so do Bernina, both reasonably expensive but most of the rest are very ho hum in performance terms. Made of plastic, poor head access, slow stitch rate and after a few years, no spares. Like many of the folks here my sewing machines were made in the late 60s, early 70s and are all metal. I own a few modern overlockers and the Bernina one is the best of the lot but I think if you are serious these days and want new equipment, you bypass the domestic modern stuff and go straight to proper industrials.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Schneiderfrei

I would love a Juki/Brother industrial.  But, my wife would object.  "Where to put it???"

Greger

Schneiderfrei

That's not such a fanciful idea greger. Too much else on my list though :D

Henry Hall

I'll add to this thread (late). I went to work for Médecins Sans Frontières about two years ago (could be longer). There are some places that are not popular for working in, but the remuneration is better. However I managed to contract not one, but two nasty illnesses. One of them almost finished me and for almost six months I had a limited sense of feeling in my hands, which has now thankfully - almost miraculously - returned.

It meant I couldn't do a lot of things properly, not just sew. I couldn't feel cloth properly and I had no chance of hand-sewing. It really put me off and I blocked it out because it was upsetting. I've since got back to it and thus also come back here to post.

The job of painting the kitchen, which I started three years ago, is also finally underway!!
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

pfaff260

I'm sorry to hear this. It's wonderfull the work that doctors like you do for Médecins Sans Frontières . But good to hear you got your health back

Henry Hall

Thanks dhr Pfaff!

I'll just be clear that I wasn't employed as a doctor, but as a biochemist dealing with, among other things, a blood transfusion programme. Don't want to claim I'm something I'm not!
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Schneiderfrei

Good Grief Henry Hall, glad you are back though.  I hope there are not too many sequelae!

Last year I was bitten by a wild cat, In my kitchen! I was nasty sick for many weeks, despite heavy antibiotics.

I am also back up