why is the page so silent?

Started by posaune, August 13, 2017, 09:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

posaune

I just wondered: Why is it, that the side is so slient? The range of tailoring is wide, the fabrics changing a lot and fast. The fashion moves even faster. But the classic style is still done and alive. We have the dirt cheap clothing - mostly made in sweat shops for next to nothing. In the same shops are garments made for next to nothing but with a posh label and sold to a posh price.  And we have the high end tailoring with moon prices. The in between is (I think) here of interest "a honest craftmanship". Meaning good fitting garments from nice fabric to a payable price for the customer and a good pay for the tailor.  And the first is maybe the goal of the hobby sewist too.
I am a member of the Cutter and Taylor and a member here.
After the beginning both sides were livelly and now there is on both sides much silence.
What is wrong with the concept?
And how can we put a little more discussion in?
I'm working on a draft for sleeves with enough cap height and bizeps width and not much ease. The armhole as small as possible for the person. Maybe that would be interesting?
lg
posaune

Schneiderfrei

Hello Heidi,

I would love to hear about the sleeve design.  I also notice that it is quiet.  For my part I have done a lot of sewing this year and translating. 

Not much looking around.

G
Schneider sind auch Leute

hutch--

I keep an eye on the site multiple times daily but I am trapped doing a mountain of work in 64 bit Windows assembler that is about the size of Mount Everest in front of me so I cannot contribute much at the moment. My cutting table is covered in camera gear so I can't even have a quick play at the moment.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Greger

Think it is northern summer for the slow down. Once the dog days of summer are gone it will probably pick up again.

Schneiderfrei

I have noticed what greger says in the past.  Its true, but it does seem very quiet lately.
Schneider sind auch Leute

spookietoo

I've actually been sewing. I've learned so much from this site and C&T over the past few years, I take a picture of myself and can figure out what my next step/attempt is as far as fitting - my current nemisis!

Posaune - I have one of those difficult "older" bodies (poor posture) you were commenting on a few weeks/months back. Forward head, forward shoulders, rounded back, FBA..... What a PITA!

I don't like to ask for help until I'm completely stumped....best way for me to learn.

You guys have posted so much excellent info.  Thank you.

peterle

Quote from: posaune on August 13, 2017, 09:42:09 PM
I just wondered: Why is it, that the side is so slient? The range of tailoring is wide, the fabrics changing a lot and fast. The fashion moves even faster. But the classic style is still done and alive. We have the dirt cheap clothing - mostly made in sweat shops for next to nothing. In the same shops are garments made for next to nothing but with a posh label and sold to a posh price.  And we have the high end tailoring with moon prices. The in between is (I think) here of interest "a honest craftmanship". Meaning good fitting garments from nice fabric to a payable price for the customer and a good pay for the tailor.  And the first is maybe the goal of the hobby sewist too.
I am a member of the Cutter and Taylor and a member here.
After the beginning both sides were livelly and now there is on both sides much silence.
What is wrong with the concept?
And how can we put a little more discussion in?
I'm working on a draft for sleeves with enough cap height and bizeps width and not much ease. The armhole as small as possible for the person. Maybe that would be interesting?
lg
posaune

First I think people don´t recognize well fitting clothing anymore and so they don´t care. They won´t take their garments to the tailor to make them fit, also because they will only wear it for a few times and then toss it. And yes, I also wondered why anybody pays a lot of money for a (usually not fitting) trade mark garment instead of caring for a good fit.

But back to the interesting: Of course I would be interested in how you solve the problem with the biceps and a small armhole. Do you slash and pivot the pattern to get a wider biceps line? Do you also alter the back back to fit the increased trapecius muscles wich usually comes with a big  bodybuilder biceps?

Lg Peterle

TTailor

I myself have been absolutely swamped this year at work, and we have had horrible management issues and changes that are still happening and affecting our working life.
Personally two deaths in my family plus a terminal illness diagnosis for my brother in law.  On the up side a new baby for my stepson, and a wedding.
I think I am just tired!
Still interested but I just dont seem to have any extra energy.

Thom Bennett

I'm here reading, though, I have been very busy making a couple of coats for friends/clients, I say that as there is some money changing hands, and studying.  They are really samples to advertise my new business, with all your help plus Rory's academy has catapulted me to see new horizons.  I am currently fitting a terrible case of scoliosis, I'll post some images shortly.
"Tailored with Love and Passion"

Social Media search for Thom Bennett Tailoring

thetailor.thom-bennett.co.uk

Thom Bennett Bespoke Ltd "Reassuringly Expensive"

TTailor

I just fit two cases of scoliosis this season, both quite different.
One of them I blogged about. I am interested in your approach, so I do hope you find time to post.

jruley

I feel like I monopolized the site last year with all my fitting threads.   I have several shirts and trousers made using the patterns members so generously helped with, so I definitely got more than I gave.

I've been quite busy this year with non-sewing projects (such as learning more than I ever wanted to know about windowsill replacement) so have nothing new on the board that I need help with at the moment.

The next logical step for me would be to fit a suit jacket pattern, but in retirement I have little occasion to wear one.  With the Photobucket policy change on webhosting images I also have no way to include photographs.

I hope the professionals will continue to post techniques and directions.  This site is a great resource for everyone.

pfaff260

I agree with Posaune, it was so silent everywhere. C & T was so lively in the earlier years. I miss that. I was also very happy with this forum and it's easy access.

Dear Posaune,
Does this help? It's from Hans Andermahr's Schnitt-Technik. His sleevedrafts produce beautifull sleeves. Although there is some ease in the cap.

Thom Bennett

"Tailored with Love and Passion"

Social Media search for Thom Bennett Tailoring

thetailor.thom-bennett.co.uk

Thom Bennett Bespoke Ltd "Reassuringly Expensive"

hutch--

Just on the issue of posting images, in recent PC software I have seen a bit of freeware for PCs where you can make an animated set of slides from photos, often with captions and produce an MP4 video from it. It means you would have to have a Youtube account but from what I have seen of it, its not that difficult to use. I had to look around for a technique to pan and zoom high resolution photos for some of the video I have been playing with. The link below is into the complicated end of animated stills as it uses NASA images from Mars but with normal photos is not all that complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC3AzuWfIBc

LATER : The quirks of software fascinate me, I just posted a simple link for anyone who was interested in animating photos which would normally be a simple link and instead the Youtube video window shows up.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Futura

I've been lost in translation work on my Mueller books, along with planning for a move overseas on top of never ending house renovations. I'm also researching buying a used industrial machine capable of zigzag, which is a little difficult as we haven't moved yet and space is limited.

I do check both forums every day or two, though I don't often post for fear of making a fool out of myself! ;)

(I admit, I've also indulged in expanding my collection of 1970's electronic Singer machines... I just received a really obscure model from Australia yesterday.)

I would definitely like to see the sleeve draft!