Our Changes - Significant Diagonal Folds on the Back

Started by Schneiderfrei, September 03, 2017, 06:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

Graham,

> That said, over most of the country you could live every day in shorts and t-shirt with thongs

Does that mean you are as badly dressed as I am in the summer ?

> The shore line must be rather interesting to see.

Especially in winter the seas are really something. With hundreds of miles of cliffs on the bottom side of West OZ, when a big storm blows up, the sea breaks over the cliff edges. Very impressive with the footage I have seen but probably not much fun to be there.
The magnificent tools of the professional tailor
https://movsd.com/tailors_shears/  ;) ;D

Greger

>Especially in winter the seas are really something. With hundreds of miles of cliffs on the bottom side of West OZ, when a big storm blows up, the sea breaks over the cliff edges. Very impressive with the footage I have seen but probably not much fun to be there.<

Isn't that the mountain range that Mt. Cook is in?
Should be footage on YouTube.

Schneiderfrei

Oh Hutch, you should see me fishing off the beach on the York Peninsular.  Although I do not own thongs.  And I hate being sun burned, so its not a t-shirt.

And Hutch, I gave up wearing stubbies when I was 19.
Schneider sind auch Leute

hutch--

greger,

This is all I could find in a hurry. Think of hundreds of miles of cliffs like this, the middle of winter and the great southern ocean breaking over the top edge of it. There was good reason why captains in the sailing boat era did not sail under Australia in the winter time.

Schneiderfrei

Hutch you might equally have chosen a photo of the "Shipwreck Coast"

I was amazed to learn that after the earliest voyages from Europe to Australia the ships began to sail straight down the Atlantic, skim past Antarctica and push on up to Australia that way.  It was much more direct.  But, only possible for a few months in high summer.

peterle

Quote from: Schneiderfrei on September 07, 2017, 09:51:16 AM

And Hutch, I gave up wearing stubbies when I was 19.

Oh what a shame You neglect your local traditions...

Greger

Hey, Hutch, did you own land out there? 😁

Drones are like boomerangs. If you handle them right they come back.

hutch--

> Hey, Hutch, did you own land out there?

Only in Sydney where I live.  :)

Here is some footage taken of a Kiwi warship in the Great Southern Ocean.

spookietoo

I think our Florida coast is about to experience something similar.  Traffic here in East Tennessee was extra messed up for a Friday afternoon (we're about 7-8 hours from the Florida state line where I am) with lots of Florida car tags and it took my niece an extra hour to get here from Atlanta. Both towns are on Interstate Highway I-75 which is the major route from Florida to the north.

Hurricane Irma is being fed by warm waters??? Don't understand the science of it, but wondering if warm waters have something to do with things down your way.

hutch--

Hi Spookie, the reports from Florida sound terrible and the next one coming in sounds like its worse. Its a different reason under OZ where the great southern ocean has a clear path around the bottom of the world around Antarctica and you get some truly wicked wind speeds there, especially in winter. If you look at something like Google Earth to see Antarctica, the wind is a clockwise circular pattern around Antarctica and in the winter it hits the bottom of OZ as a south west wind that is at time truly ferocious.

I get to see some footage of Tornado Alley in the US which is horrendous but I don't know if it hits Tennesee so you may be lucky. We have dust devils in OZ but they are rarely ever near populated areas. What we do get similar to the problems in Florida is cyclones in Queensland that are very violent and it is due to an alternate weather pattern across the Pacific ocean where you get from drought to flood depending on which end of the cycle you are it. Its that malicious Mexican couple, El Nino and La Nina.  ;)

Schneiderfrei

Funny thing about weather and winds Spookietoo.  They don't cross the equator.  We are relatively safer here.  Not nothing, there were very strong cyclones [hurricane] last few years.  We had some really strange weather last year. now all the seasons seem late. but nothing like the power of the three in a row your seeing now. 

And Hutch is right about the southern ocean. It doesn't fit the old 3 oceans, seven seas story but it is very independent in its movements.  A very new thing for us is tornadoes.  They are starting up. Never heard of them before. Never heard of them from my grandparents.  They talked abut willy willys and dust devils. Little guys.

Aboriginal stories tell about a cycle of hot and cold, when water spouts get big enough to carry people away.  They think we are headed there now.