the future of the craft

Started by posaune, May 06, 2017, 02:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

posaune

Please be patient with my English. This is a special area.
Today I received my May-edition of the Damenrundschau. There is an interesting article describing the situation of the tailoring companies (2015-2016) in Germany. In short the content:
There are 1974 classic establishments (The Master tailor is the owner). 335 companies have more than 5 employees. Average is:  2 employees in 1639 companies. Typical for the craft: 1 Master 1 Geselle (mostly female) and possibly 1 -2 trainees.
The turnover is 485 Mill Euro/Year.

In 2016 there were  854 people trained 81 male, 773 female.
Master's examinations are 113 per year. But by abolition of mastery, the masters and thus the entrepreneurs are younger.  And the customer group.

Although the master is no longer necessary, the title is regarded as a symbol of quality and good craftmanship, and is maybe more desirable as before.

The customers go to a tailor by:
70% recommendation of an customer
12% Press articles
10% fashion watching or similar
6% over the Internet
2% radio or Tv
The most ordered garments are 
Men: bespoke suits with custom shirt.
Ladies: dress, costume (jacket with skirt), trousers suit, blazer and coats.
lg
posaune

Greger

That's not looking good so few males learning.

Henry Hall

The interesting bit is the 70% of custom based upon other customer referrals. A kick in the pants for the marketing wafflers who keep going on about how things have changed and tailoring must have 'scientific' marketing behind it. No doubt so they can charge their huge consulting fees.
'Being perfectly well-dressed gives one a tranquillity that no religion can bestow.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson.